549     1 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 2K     3 

Blatter: Canada wants to host 2018 WC

toforumer

Member Bio
Reaction score
Blatter: Canada wants to host 2018 FIFA WC

Here is first official word from the FIFA president that Canada wants to bid for the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/news_story/?ID=223703&hubname=

All I know is if the country does decide to bid, I hope they don't embarrass the country by offering up our current stack of shitty stadiums.

It's pretty obvious many new stadiums would have to be built for Canada to even be considered for the short list.

It would be nice to see Canada bid for them but in the end, England is going to get them. I think they'll be the perennial favourite.

We'd have to build a completely new fleet of stadia. I can't think of a single one in the country, with the possible exception of the SkyDome, that would be suitable. Maybe Olympic Stadium, but I thought that FIFA didn't like covered stadia.

Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium is probably a better candidate for being Canada's only World Cup stadium. It has the capacity, and it has a natural grass field on site, something that neither Olympic Stadium, SkyDome or even BMO Field has.

There's a list at Wikipedia showing the capacity of major Canadian stadiums, and the capacity they could be expanded to...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stadiums_in_Canada

I forgot about it. It clearly wouldn't be appropriate for the final, but it could definitely be used. What did they use for Calgary's Olympic ceremonies? Would it be suitable?

I'm more concerned about the quality of our national team than the lack of stadiums.

Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium is probably a better candidate for being Canada's only World Cup stadium. It has the capacity, and it has a natural grass field on site, something that neither Olympic Stadium, SkyDome or even BMO Field has.

BMO Field's fieldturf surface has received FIFA's highest rating and is approved (and was used last summer) for FIFA events.

Most WC hosts have had stadia that temporarily expand their capacity during the tournament but are reverted back to smaller venues after the tournament. Having said that, I agree that Canada would be starting virtually from scratch.

I believe the requirements are that there be atleast 9 host cities, minimum of 10 stadiums, minimum capacity of 40,000. Obviously the opening match, quarter and semi finals, the 3rd place match, and the finals have to be in a greater capacity stadium.

BMO Field can only be expanded to 30,000 seating capacity so that would be out of the question.

If Canada were to bid, there is no doubt in my mind that Toronto would be the centre piece of this bid and would get a magnificent new stadium with a 90,000 capacity. With all the rumours swirling around the potential of Toronto attaining an NFL franchise, this stadium would come in good use post-World Cup.

Toronto can serve host for two venues if the CSA want to cut costs down on stadium construction and just upgrade Rogers Centre to make it more soccer friendly.

I recall a Winter Olympic proposal for Quebec city that included a couple of venues in the US. Perhaps if the stadium situation is inappropriate in Canada, several US venues could be included?

My fantasy for the day: By 2018 Toronto will have an NFL team and a brand new 80,000 seat stadium in the works!

Back