Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

My conspiracy theory is that the Liberals may flip on this later in their mandate if they don't need Vaughan's political capital and the generous folks at Edgerick/GE etc. are up for contributing to the cause of the Big Red Machine.

I'm basing that on nothing other than a lifetime of observing politics.

Edit: just saw this LOL:
m.thestar.com/#/article/news/canada/2015/11/03/justin-trudeaus-cabinet-is-the-shape-of-things-to-come.html

The Trudeau government is under pressure from Quebec to quickly match the province’s $1-billion bailout of Bombardier’s troubled new aircraft program. Propping up the company’s C-Series jet program is widely seen as an iffy investment, but the Liberals, who were given an unexpected vote of confidence by Quebec voters, may feel compelled to come to the aid of the Quebec industrial icon.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that bit of the picture. I'd say the odds of jets at the Island, eventually, are improving. Unless Vaughan turns out to be a superstar, and an incorruptible one, at that.

Last edited:
^the small number of c-Series that Porter has conditionally ordered would be nice for the company....but that order is not going to swing the needle on the program one way or the other. They are at 243 firm orders out of a target of 300.....the Porter order is not included in that 243...the biggest thing (IMO) that the Canadian government and Quebec government can do for the C-Series (and, then, BBD) is to eliminate the uncertainty around BBD's cash position and remove any doubt the airlines have that the program will be completed so that new orders can be developed......saving the Porter order is a small (very small) matter for BBD/government.

If it was about shafting one MP, that would be one thing, but a bunch of others signed that June letter. There's a bunch of other things Trudeau could consider to help BBD which wouldn't cause him months of grief from the NDP and Toronto Star.

I'm already seeing "Vaughan won't get into cabinet because Porter". There's a whole bunch of reasons Vaughan wasn't going to see Cabinet this session, Porter or no. A Parliamentary Sec gig focusing on housing would give him responsibility without the collective responsibility a Cabinet Office demands and which his personality might have a tough time accepting.

And now we know Vaughan isn't in the Cabinet.
Yep...and I don't think it matters yet. But if JT and his government find a reason/way to support the airport expansion, I think Mr. Vaughan's passionate opposition on the matter would lead to only one outcome.....a 1 seat increase in the number of NDP MPs.

What would be interesting ot watch isn't whether the Federal government reopening the Tripartite Agreement - but what they will do to Ports Toronto/TPA and the raft of Conservative appointments on the board.

AoD

What would be interesting ot watch isn't whether the Federal government reopening the Tripartite Agreement - but what they will do to Ports Toronto/TPA and the raft of Conservative appointments on the board.

AoD

Yeah, I think Ports Toronto (tm) is in for a world of hurt. The best of all ironic worlds would be if they were absorbed into Waterfront Toronto...

porterplans@flyporter.com sent this out today

A new federal cabinet is now in place representing all regions of Canada, including many cities Porter currently serves or hopes to fly to.

We are committed to highlighting the benefits associated with our proposal to provide flights from coast to coast with the Bombardier CS100 aircraft, including more jobs, lower air travel costs, and support for Canada’s aerospace industry. The encouragement we have received to date from across the country is fantastic.

Although some news reports have raised questions about the new government's position on our proposal, we are encouraging them to take an evidence-based approach to this issue. It is important to wait for the studies requested by Toronto City Council, which are 90% complete and only months away from being finalized. Just as it is premature to say “yes” to Porter Plans without considering these important studies, it is also premature to say “no.”

When the new Transport Minister was interviewed yesterday, he was asked specifically about Porter Plans. His answer pointed to the established review process as something that is ongoing, which is very positive (the relevant portion of the interview begins at 3:20).

We look forward to talking with the new Transport Minister and others as we work to make Porter Plans a reality.

Porter Plans Team

The island airport expansion may not be dead just yet.

image.jpg

http://www.financialpost.com/m/wp/b...-airport-expansion-as-it-enters-debt-free-era

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 563
I can think of no dumber way to prop up Bombardier. If the government wants to buy a bunch of CSeries planes, buy the bloody planes and lease them out for scandalously cheap rates to Air Canada / WestJet / charter companies -- even Porter if they decide to fly them from Hamilton or wherever. But to make a decision on an airport in order to get a private company to buy some planes to prop up a public company? Way too convoluted. So many things that could go wrong (starting with the whole concept.)

I can think of no dumber way to prop up Bombardier. If the government wants to buy a bunch of CSeries planes, buy the bloody planes and lease them out for scandalously cheap rates to Air Canada / WestJet / charter companies -- even Porter if they decide to fly them from Hamilton or wherever. But to make a decision on an airport in order to get a private company to buy some planes to prop up a public company? Way too convoluted. So many things that could go wrong (starting with the whole concept.)
As I said in post 4085 (above) the Porter order is not going to materially impact BBD.....it is, therefore, not the reason to approve or not approve the airport plan.

Marc Garneau, the Minister of Transportation just confirmed that the government will NOT reopen the Tripartite Agreement. It's dead.

AoD

You're probably right. I just saw his new tweet from earlier this evening:

@MarcGarneau: I confirm that GoC position is same as LPC commitment: we will not re-open tripartite agreement for YTZ

Porter needs longer ranged, wider-bodied aircraft to expand its business further. However there aren't many or any options in the turbo prop category http://planes.axlegeeks.com/d/e/Turboprop Perhaps a civilian version of the Airbus A400M?

IMO, the best course for Porter is to find another airport and then offer high speed rain connections. The Bombardier C-series needs a 5,000 ft. runway, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_CSeries#Specifications Thus options are invest in the Oshawa Airport (currently 4,000 ft) or Hamilton. Both airports are close to existing GO and VIA lines. However, if Porter is not at Billy Bishop, why do we need Porter? Other airlines already fly from Oshawa and Hamilton. I'd say Porter painted themselves into a corner.

Porter needs longer ranged, wider-bodied aircraft to expand its business further. However there aren't many or any options in the turbo prop category http://planes.axlegeeks.com/d/e/Turboprop Perhaps a civilian version of the Airbus A400M?

IMO, the best course for Porter is to find another airport and then offer high speed rain connections. The Bombardier C-series needs a 5,000 ft. runway, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_CSeries#Specifications Thus options are invest in the Oshawa Airport (currently 4,000 ft) or Hamilton. Both airports are close to existing GO and VIA lines. However, if Porter is not at Billy Bishop, why do we need Porter? Other airlines already fly from Oshawa and Hamilton. I'd say Porter painted themselves into a corner.

What you mention here about connecting Oshawa and Hamilton is part of the reason why I think it's absolutely shameful that we don't have electrified RER on Lake Shore East and West by now. The combined population of the cities along a Lake Shore RER route (Ham to Osh) is somewhere in the area of 4.5M, so this isn't like connecting one city's downtown or something. This is megalopolis territory.

According to Move Ontario 2020 (the predecessor the BM) the only GO line that was to be upgraded to RER was Lake Shore. Also, by this time 66% of MO2020's projects were to be complete, and by 2020 95% complete. Now where are we at? RER has been promised for almost every line. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but imo we should get LSE+LSW done asap, and let it serve as a prime example of RER's potential - just as it was always planned to be.

Back