Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

I would hope they have some financial depth to their books. Like personal finance, any respectable business should have some cash reserves. With staff laid off and planes grounded, hopefully monthly costs while in shut-down aren't too strenuous. They may have to be in "rebuild" mode for a while after though, perhaps cutting less profitable routes. I'd be surprised if they go under though.

It'd be a shame for places like Timmins and Sault Ste. Marie, which finally got affordable airfares because of the competition with AC Express -- the kind of places where rail travel is infeasible and too far for bus travel for most.

With Porter Airlines suspending all flights until at least June, do you think it will ever reappear, or is that it?

They never were able to expand the airport runways to permit regional jets (a good thing still), and the IPO got pulled. As a private company, Porter doesn't have to disclose its financials.
Having sold the terminal building a few years back, that should certainly help them in terms of reducing ground fees on their books since they aren't paying for gate access and they are no longer responsible for maintenance/ops of it in a time where there is virtually no demand for the terminal services. I would hope that the cash injection they received from the sale, helped to reduce outstanding debtloads which would help keep them cash positive.

Billy Bishop Airport to Convert Marilyn Bell I Airport Ferry to Electric-Power

tenor.gif

It is my impression that most executive aviation is jet-based, so it would open up that can again. I'm not sure of the runway length requirements for many in that class.

If Porter were to go out of business, Billy Bishop could be used for general and executive aviation (and have no scheduled flights).

Unless AC Express wants to take it over for Montreal and Ottawa flights. I could also see American, United, or Delta use it for turboprop commuter flights to New York, Detroit, or Chicago.

But I doubt that will help smaller markets like Sudbury, SSM, or Timmins - I can't see WestJet Encore flying to a non-hub airport. Maybe there will be room at Pearson though...

Pre-COVID there was speculation that Porter was hanging by a thread. It will be interesting to see where they are a year from now.

Adam Vaughan has been working steadily to ensure that it's difficult for a future Conservative government to allow jets on the island. Designating a bird sanctuary on the island and residential construction in the Portlands approach are some of the actions being taken.

The UPX's reliable 25 min trip to Pearson is making the case for an island airport less attractive both for passengers and for larger airlines who can run their bigger planes from the major airport.

Now, with the aviation crisis, the window for Deluce is closing.

I won't count on the airport being dead, much as that would appeal to be.

Of course that appeal to me is rooted in what I would love to see done there, which is a full on nature preserve on the Island (there are small bits treated that way now)

The airport is roughly 220 acres/90 hectares of land.

I could see adding 20 to the Beach area, allowing 5 for a small area with 1-2 restaurants and patios; and the rest, 195acres/80 hectares becoming a nature preserve. I would love that.

But not counting on it.

I wonder about the tunnel crossing and if traffic from the airport were absent, whether that might be seen as a safety issue.

Back