News   Mar 28, 2024
 328     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 686     0 

Bill C-61 copyright act amendment tabled today

grey

Member Bio
Reaction score
Virtually any form of downloading will be illegal.

Transferring music from one format to another will also be illegal, even if you own the original source.

Basically, you want to use an mp3 player, you’re stuck with an ipod and itunes.

And if you cross the border with an mp3 player/laptop/storage media, customs gets to check it for ‘illegal’ media with the onus is on you to prove it belongs to you – which is next to impossible – subject to search/seizure/fine/charges if you can’t rove ownership at the border.

Also, media companies can get isp usage records without warrant and the burden of proof will be on you to prove you’ve not used your internet for any illegal things.

$500 fine per downloaded file, no limit on number of concurrent charges.

RIAA/MPAA is nothing compared to what the tories are going to make possible in Canada.

Oh, and its also going to be illegal to own an unlocked phone.

Here's a link to a site that will send a nicely worded email expressing your concern to your MP (just select your MP from the handy list):

http://www.onlinerights.ca/get_active/copyright_for_canadians/action.php

Yikes.

The bill even makes it so lessons/lectures/etc at university can’t be retained after 30 days after the end of a course if you’ve ‘affixed’ it unless you are the originator of the source material.

Basically, holding onto notes from year to year could now be illegal.

Consumers should be advised to read Geist's blog. It is worse than the US Digital Millenium Copyright Act - ie illegal to circumvent locks on property you own (which I hope, if passed, gets thrown out by the courts), though it is supposedly going to fully legalize transfer of content from CDs to iPods for unlocked files.

And it's worse than Samulte Bulte's bad attempt before the Martin government fell.

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/

I really hope this shit doesn't pass. It's unbelievable that this is happening in Canada. We, the people can not let this happen, and need to inform as many people as possible! I'm calling my MP about this to see what her opinion is.

Look at how they run this – they give reporters less than an hour to be introduced to the bill – no doubt all speeches, etc, then immediately to q&a with no chance to digest/follow-up on the bill’s contents.

Now, I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but why would they want to stifle debate on such a bill? It does give the impression they know it's going to be unpopular, yet for some reason they feel the need to ram it through with little debate. It does smack as though some outside forces are pushing the government hard to do this, even at the cost of their own standing amongst the people. I sometimes wish the Canadian conservative establishment had more of a libertarian streak to it. Hopefully the courts will be more reasonable, if it should pass.

how does this law effect political dissent? being able to use video footage, sound recordings, etc..

maybe there's some hidden agenda?

What a joke. Is this a free country or what? I wont submit to any 3rd party's demands of what I do with MY internet!

I sometimes wish the Canadian conservative establishment had more of a libertarian streak to it. Hopefully the courts will be more reasonable, if it should pass.

I agree with you but, having just read the Star article, it seems that the Liberal MPs are more concerned about the government's inability to enforce this rather than on how this could infringe on civil liberties.

Back