News   Mar 28, 2024
 170     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Bike Rack in Individual Condo Parking Lot: Good idea?

There are actually two kinds of parking. Parking spaces that actually belong to an owner and parking spaces that are exclusive use common elements. In both cases I think that the walls would be common elements and according to the Condo Act you ought to get permission from the Board plus an Agreement under S 98 of the Act before you drill into common elements. Some Boards turn a blind eye to minor encroachments like this, others do not and demand the formal Agreement (which costs $$ as it must be registered.)

In our building, bike racks can only be installed by an authorized installer arranged by the Board because yes, the wall are common elements.

We rent and we had split the cost with our owner to purchase a bike rike to be installed in our parking spot, as we had two bikes and wanted to be able to bike around our neighborhood. This was back in 2012 (it's 2018 right now). Worst. Decision. Ever. The bikes were heavy to lift to get into the rack and it took both of us to put one bike up in the rack at a time. THEN the bikes sit on the back wheel as the rack only closes a rod through the spokes into the rack stand, just to keep you bikes upright. Your bike sits on its own back wheel. Within two days, both bikes had flat tires down to the rim. Ruined our bikes big time. We had the wheels repaired twice, and now we have just given up. Our owner will not be able to rent her condo unit out to anyone who owns a larger vehicle if they require the parking as it does impact a bit of the space and there is a support column next to the spot making it a challenge on where one's door will be to get in and out of the car should it be a larger car than the ones I have owned. Just wanted to toss in my two cents on this subject as I have been crawling through the internet for a solution on how to hold the bikes in the rack but UP off the ground. :(

Those must have been a different kind. Ours didn’t sit on the wheel and were installed so as not to impact available space very much.

This rack is at the back of the parking spot and although it does't look like it takes up much space, it actually does. (like the ones in the photos posted by the OP of this thread) I'd love to know what type your rack was that didn't allow the bike to sit on its back wheel. I've searched the 'net to see if others had the same problem and what they may have done to alieve the weight of the bike resting on the tire, and have seen many bike racks that all have the wheel touching the floor / ground, unless they are hooks for personal homes and / or garages. Our building has now offered a new type of rack which we've seen a few owners have installed, and although the rack is different, it still has the bike sitting on the back wheel. *sigh*

This rack is at the back of the parking spot and although it does't look like it takes up much space, it actually does. (like the ones in the photos posted by the OP of this thread) I'd love to know what type your rack was that didn't allow the bike to sit on its back wheel. I've searched the 'net to see if others had the same problem and what they may have done to alieve the weight of the bike resting on the tire, and have seen many bike racks that all have the wheel touching the floor / ground, unless they are hooks for personal homes and / or garages. Our building has now offered a new type of rack which we've seen a few owners have installed, and although the rack is different, it still has the bike sitting on the back wheel. *sigh*
Trying to find a photo but I no longer live in the building. Will keep trying.

We rent and we had split the cost with our owner to purchase a bike rike to be installed in our parking spot, as we had two bikes and wanted to be able to bike around our neighborhood. This was back in 2012 (it's 2018 right now). Worst. Decision. Ever. The bikes were heavy to lift to get into the rack and it took both of us to put one bike up in the rack at a time. THEN the bikes sit on the back wheel as the rack only closes a rod through the spokes into the rack stand, just to keep you bikes upright. Your bike sits on its own back wheel. Within two days, both bikes had flat tires down to the rim. Ruined our bikes big time. We had the wheels repaired twice, and now we have just given up. Our owner will not be able to rent her condo unit out to anyone who owns a larger vehicle if they require the parking as it does impact a bit of the space and there is a support column next to the spot making it a challenge on where one's door will be to get in and out of the car should it be a larger car than the ones I have owned. Just wanted to toss in my two cents on this subject as I have been crawling through the internet for a solution on how to hold the bikes in the rack but UP off the ground. :(
how heavy can your bike be, and how does your tire go flat so quickly? I store my bike vertically in the same sort of racks shown in the original post of this thread - and never have any issues you describe.

much more weight would be put on the wheels while you ride the bike than would be put on them when they are in a vertical position (a 150lb person is 75lbs / axle.. a bike weighs at most, what, 30 pounds?). I'm struggling to see how that is the root cause of the issue.

If you own a parking spot in a condo, can you install your own locker instead of using it for a car? Something like this?

f84c1425f49dc16d7d606c1003571346--bicycle-storage-shed-outdoor-bike-storage.jpg

The building I lived in actually had provision for enclosures although no one had one. Our lawyer said it was the only time he had seen that.

Back