Oshawa Beyond | ?m | 18s | Atria | A&Architects

Paclo

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Beyond: a proposed 18 & 18-storey mixed-use condo & commercial building designed by A&Architects for Atria Developments (operating as Richmond and Mary Developments Inc.) on the south side of Richmond Street East between Mary Street North and Ontario Street in Downtown Oshawa.

Renders from A&A:
276af3_16ee2017bfa349a18d5114440d9e01c2_mv2_d_5000_3125_s_4_2.jpg
276af3_64b9ac0a32754668ab51ba24df95ca7e_mv2_d_5000_3125_s_4_2.jpg
276af3_d7fae3cb2a8e4206ab7e86085378e72e_mv2_d_4838_3125_s_4_2.jpg
276af3_ff1e068d4f3b4992b91ee44f1d9e23d4_mv2_d_5000_3125_s_4_2.jpg

Site plan from the revised OPA & ZBA of September 2018:
sep2018-14.jpg

The intensification I like; the overall appearance is fine; but the mostly residential at-grade is a big question mark for me.

Now this isn't one of Oshawa's main retail drags downtown, however, the development to the immediate north included retail at-grade, albeit they leased most of it for healthcare operations.

I think there's lots of retail potential in downtown Oshawa, with the ongoing densification, future BRT improvements and the GO Bomanville extension.

Right now there's only one major supermarket close to this site, a No Frills 645M away. Not terrible, but lots of new development from this site south, suggests to me there is room for another major supermarket in the DT Oshawa market.

Also, I don't know if the downtown LCBO there ever relocated, but it was a bit of dumpster fire and could use a new home if it's still the same. Hmmm, a quick google search shows an LCBO on a pad just north of the No Frills, and no others right downtown. That's almost 900M from this site.

Not terrible, but lots of new development from this site south, suggests to me there is room for another major supermarket in the DT Oshawa market.
There was a Metro (former A&P) at the Midtown mall just to the west of downtown Oshawa. That space is now empty, as is most of the mall itself except for repurposed offices. I keep waiting for a total redevelopment proposal for all the Midtown Mall lands. As it sits currently, it just screams redevelopment waiting in the wings!

The intensification I like; the overall appearance is fine; but the mostly residential at-grade is a big question mark for me.

Now this isn't one of Oshawa's main retail drags downtown, however, the development to the immediate north included retail at-grade, albeit they leased most of it for healthcare operations.

I think there's lots of retail potential in downtown Oshawa, with the ongoing densification, future BRT improvements and the GO Bomanville extension.

Right now there's only one major supermarket close to this site, a No Frills 645M away. Not terrible, but lots of new development from this site south, suggests to me there is room for another major supermarket in the DT Oshawa market.

Also, I don't know if the downtown LCBO there ever relocated, but it was a bit of dumpster fire and could use a new home if its still the same. Hmmm, a quick google search shows an LCBO on a pad just north of the No Frills, and no others right downtown. That's almost 900M from this site.
I'd be inclined to agree any development like this should have retail at grade, but I think that Costco plaza which also has the No Frills and LCBO really drew a lot of retail business away from the core. Hopefully with projects like this, 80 Bond and inevitably others in the pipeline, there'll be an infusion of people downtown with retail to follow.

So they actually submitted new plans and there is no residential units on the main level, it’s mainly retail/commercial and amenities space. I’m sorry that the rendering is blurry but I will upload a new one once they are sent to us. I also added the new floor plan
847CE375-98A2-4DB3-8715-1847A8A4B2FF.png
26481668-52EF-42B1-A106-C5EF446D5E87.png

Talk about cheapening. The podium looks cold and strange with the tiny windows on the second floor. The overall ornamentation is lacking compared with the interesting geometric features of the original design. The complex looks generic, despite the fact that these buildings will be some of the largest buildings in the area.

Back