News   Apr 23, 2024
 572     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Beverley Hotel (335 Queen W @ Beverley, 4.5s, Steven Fong) COMPLETE

calimehtar

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is the right place to post, since the building looks like it will be very small... maybe Retail would be more appropriate. Anyway, I noticed this afternoon that construction has begun on a tiny vacant lot on the south side of Queen near Beverley (I think this is where Active Surplus used to be). The sign says "HQ", and something about a boutique hotel.

Does anyone know anything else about this?

335 Queen West

3294598091_37b0178984_o.jpg

The 19-room Boutique Hotel at 335 Queen West is currently under construction and is scheduled to open in July. The Queen Street West Heritage Conservation District came into force back in September 2007 and the hotel has been designed in accordance with the district guidelines governing new buildings. The hotel will feature a rooftop patio and ground floor restaurant.

Well, just as this stretch of Queen West appears to be dying, it gets a hotel.... TAS design build's Gansevoort hotel is right behind this site--if it ever gets built.

It sort of bugs me that only 4 stories are allowed around here--I'd be happy to see a few 10 story buildings poking above the Victorian streetscape.

It's clear from the picture that this is the height at which the building is harmonious with its surroundings. Not sure why people would prefer a different height here. Disharmony for disharmony's sake?

I like the way it fits snugly into the streetscape. It would be a surprise to come across it, as opposed to most hotels, which usually overpower the enitre block they're on.

Very happy to see this. Toronto's count of small, cool hotels seems unusually low compared even to Montreal. A dozen or so more of these would do the trick.

Well, just as this stretch of Queen West appears to be dying, it gets a hotel.... TAS design build's Gansevoort hotel is right behind this site--if it ever gets built.

It sort of bugs me that only 4 stories are allowed around here--I'd be happy to see a few 10 story buildings poking above the Victorian streetscape.

Why is Queen W dieing? Not that I'm disagreeing with you.

Just wondering what are the root causes? Higher rent is driving a lot of people out but that'll end before you know it if as you are implying the area is dieing (i.e. demand is dropping) along with the recession, rents should start to drop again and fast.

Queen W resurgence? :)

I don't know if Queen West is dying. If "dying" means overrun by chain stores and gentrifying, it's been dying for years now. I don't think Adam Vaughn's assault on the club district will help either.

As for the hotel, I like it. It fits in perfectly.

Why is Queen W dieing? Not that I'm disagreeing with you.

Just wondering what are the root causes? Higher rent is driving a lot of people out but that'll end before you know it if as you are implying the area is dieing (i.e. demand is dropping) along with the recession, rents should start to drop again and fast.

Queen W resurgence? :)

I know a few landlords and tenants on Queen between University and Bathurst. A large portion (sometimes all) is the result of cap creep.

Back