1.3K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 564     0 

Best views from elevated subway lines in NYC

G

ganjavih

Yo, transit buffs, I find myself back in the Big Apple. I want to do some touring of the boroughs from NYC's many elevated subway lines. What are some of the best lines to take? Any particular stations that offer nice city views? Gracias.

Highly recommend the 7. Amazing views - the ride in from Jackson Heights was my first taste of New York. I got it after taking a Triboro Coach bus from LGA - even with lugging up my bag, much more worthwhile than taking the nearby subway. With the Hispanic buskers going from car to car and the annoyed conductor with the announcements about the train going express to Long Island City due to track work, and what bus route to take to reach skipped stations, it was an experience I won't soon forget.

The views of the skyline are magnificant from the inner part of the 7. I also recommend the free Staten Island Ferry if you've got the time.

Not too shabby

Hey Ganja, take the F train to Smith/9th Streets in Boerum Hill. It flies over the Gowanus canal on its own viaduct and has sweeping views of the Lower Manhattan skyline.

Also, there is a giant elevated railway interchange at "Broadway Junction" in East New York. You can either take the L train or the J/Z to see it. The surrounding area is nothing much to behold, though.

Both of those are more or less addressed in my and spmarshall's posts (albeit more indirectly in the latter case).

Go to Coney Island. You'll be floating over the unvarnished interior of Brooklyn...

All those above are good. Also the 4-5 and 6 in the Bronx give you a good look at the wasteland that was the South Bronx. Also partial to the A & C going to Rockaway Beach. Runs above ground through Jamaica Bay.

Thanks guys. The view from Smith/9th Street was gorgeous. Unfortunately, there was an MTA security dude who wouldn't let me take any photos. I'll try it again tomorrow along with the other routes.

Not exactly a direct reference to a view from the subway, but after seeing the Smith / 9th station, if you have time to kill, why not proceed out to the far end of the F line at Coney Island / Stillwell. It's the newest station in NYC and probably one of the largest, having just been completely built from scratch to handle trains on four lines. It's also only one stop from the Aquarium, a major attraction which is worth seeing IMO.

if you are still there, take the gondola from 59th/60th, over to Rosevelt island.

Everyone: As mentioned-NYC elevated lines are neat-I was going to suggest Smith/9th street station myself-the highest point in the NYC Subway system. The 7 line is a good ride-I am riding back to Queens myself tonight on it. The Roosevelt Island Tram is just blocks from where I am posting this in midtown Manhattan. Metrocards are accepted here for the tram fare-ironically this was the last service to accept the now-phased-out NYC Transit tokens-until sometime in 2005. Just purchase an unlimited-use Metrocard-the best deal is the 7-day card for $21. then-just ride,learn and enjoy! LI MIKE

These lines maybe good for touristy 'views', but they are absolute headaches to rely on. Especially on the weekends, recently its not uncommon for the 7 not to continue onto manhattan. They are also reminders at streetlevel why El is not the preferred choice.

Back