News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Berlin - Pt. 3 - General Pics

Ronald

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is the last one of my 3 threads about Berlin, and my first thread here at the new forum.

Flying into the city
IMG_0837.jpg

View from the hotel
IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

Potsdamer Platz' skyscrapers and the Fernsehturn in the distance.
IMG_1262.jpg

A shopping street in the west of Berlin, the 'Wilmersdorfer Strasse', where our hotel was located aswell.
IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

The Dome of Berlin, located on the museum island.
IMG_1015.jpg

Small details of the Dome.
IMG_1084.jpg

The 'Altes Museum', also located on the museum island.
IMG_1014.jpg

The Pergamon Museum, Germany's equivalent of London's British Museum or Paris' Louvre.
IMG_1018.jpg

Humbolt University
IMG_1036.jpg

The faculty of Law
IMG_1039.jpg

Statue of Humbolt.
IMG_1042.jpg

The beginning of Unter den Linden, the Champs Elysées of Berlin
IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

At the end of Unter den Linden, the Brandenburger Gate shows up
IMG_1047.jpg

The French Embassy, near the Gate.
IMG_1051.jpg

The Reichstag, where the German parliament holds it's daily debates.
IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

There was no shortage of tourists, too
IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1091.jpg

The Spree river, between the new central station and the Reichstag.
IMG_0970.jpg

This is sort of a beach, except that you can't swim in the river, you can sit in beachchairs and enjoy the weather. It's called 'Capital Beach', referring to the fact that Berlin is Germany's capital (again since the East and West were reunited).

IMG_0977.jpg

Stadtmitte is a dense neighbourhood in the center of Berlin. It has a grid pattern, broad avenues and plenty of subway stations. It reminded some of my travel companions of New York's Manhattan.
IMG_1107.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

Some of the buildings are a little 'offbeat'.
IMG_1111.jpg

Checkpoint Charlie, where Berlin's former border between East and West used to be, has turned into a tourist attraction today.
IMG_1256.jpg

There are a few shopping centers too, in this district.
IMG_1110.jpg

Lastly, there also is an historical part in the district. This is Gendarmenmarkt, where the French Dome and the German Dome are both situated on different ends of a square.
IMG_1204b.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg

Kufürstendamm, perhaps one of Berlin's best known shopping streets.
IMG_1133.jpg

The Gedächteniskirche (Church of Remembrance) is a church that was bombed during WWII.
The church has not been fixed, because the damage done to the church in the war would remind us today of the horrors of that war.
IMG_1131.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

The Fernsehturn (TV - tower), a landmark built by the Soviets.
IMG_1229.jpg

Fernsehturn and the "Rotes Rathaus" (Berlin's city hall), to the right.
IMG_1238.jpg

The Holocaust Memorial. Wasn't there when I visited the city 3 years ago.
IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

The Nikolaiviertel, which is the old district of Berlin, with buildings dating back to the 1200s.
IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

I ran into this store... I wonder what that 'urban milkware' is?
IMG_1245.jpg

That's it for now!
Cheers!
IMG_1260.jpg

Must visit Germany... must visit Germany...

Like I didn't have enough places to go see already!

The Berliner Dom was the "chapel" for the royal family - across the street from the former imperial palace in the centre of the city. It is one of the most impressive cathedrals in northern Germany and the largest such building in Berlin.

Superb series - thanks a lot! Really brought back warm memories of my visit there a few years ago. I found Berlin to be surprisingly similar culturally to North America - far more so than any other place in Europe, including the UK. Note the way people are dressed in some of the photos, for instance.

Canuck:

Work on your fiancée (and congrats, btw). Berlin is definitely worth going out of your way for - it's unlikely to disappoint anyone.

Fantastic pics, Ronald, I definitely have to visit Berlin some day!

This is easily one of my favourite cities in the world, and is a dream for an urban enthisiast. Berlin is indeed somewhat reminiscent of NA (often complete with wider than usual roads). It really reminds me, in some weird way, of Toronto but its mentality is still more 'European'.

Berlin likes to think big and it spends a lot of money--which should be obvious from the pics. It blows Toronto out of the water in terms of streetscaping. The bad news is that the city is basically borrowing against the future and is in such a financial state that makes Toronto's problems look minor indeed.

But that part's not too important for a visitor, it's an absolute must stop on any tour of Germany, even if a lot of non-Berliner Germans absolutely despise it.

So many cities, so little money to do it all... but Berlin is close to the top of the list for where to spend it!

Back