News   Aug 13, 2024
 301     0 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 470     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Berczy Square (33 Yonge, GWL Realty Advisors, DIALOG, 9s)

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
The following is a press release regarding the rebranding of this building, a screening of the elevator core in the atrium, and changes to the restaurants:

1723226042483.png

GWL Realty Advisors renovating, welcoming five new restaurants to rebranded flagship building in downtown Toronto

33 Yonge Street, rebranded as Berczy Square, is undergoing renovations to its lobby and façade, and will feature five signature restaurants, including the latest offering from Michelin-star Chef Rob Rossi and David Minicucci, the team behind Giulietta and Osteria Giulia.
July 23, 2024 (TORONTO) – A landmark building at one of Toronto’s most prominent intersections is getting a makeover, as GWL Realty Advisors (GWLRA) begins extensive renovations to modernize 33 Yonge’s façade and lobby as part of an overall strategy to reimagine the property as a destination.

GWLRA is undertaking the renovations and rebranding on behalf of its owners, the Great-West Life Canadian Real Estate Investment Fund No.1 (CREIF) and the London Life Real Estate Fund. The renovations commenced this summer and will be completed in the fall of 2025.

Along with the renovations, GWLRA is revealing new branding for the property - now called Berczy Square - drawing inspiration from the adjacent Berczy Park and the building’s unique location at the junction of two distinct neighbourhoods in Toronto’s downtown core.

“Steps from the Financial District, Union Station, and serving as a gateway to the St. Lawrence Market and the surrounding downtown, Berczy Square is a beautiful building in a premier location,” says Steffan Smith, Executive Vice President, Asset Management at GWLRA. “The commercial office market is evolving, and projects like Berczy Square will meet the needs of today’s workplaces while setting a new standard for amenities and design. Our investments will transform the lobby into an active, welcoming space for workers and visitors and revitalize the collection of restaurants on the ground floor.”

A NEW CULINARY DESTINATION

With renovations now underway, GWLRA also announces the addition of five new or refreshed restaurants to the building, including the latest offering from the team behind Giulietta and Osteria Giulia, three concepts from Canadian stalwart O&B and Café Landwer’s ninth location.

An interpretation of the classic Italian steakhouse, Chef Rob Rossi and David Minicucci's latest entry to Toronto’s culinary scene, Sammarco, will offer an upscale dining experience. With interiors by II by IV Design and branding by Concrete, Sammarco will feature unique stone detailing, terrazzo and marble flooring, and warm wood-accented walls. Guests will enjoy a private dining room for corporate events, a wine room, and an outdoor terrace.

“There is a renaissance of restaurants happening in Toronto, and we look forward to opening in one of the most iconic parts of the downtown core,” says Chef Rob Rossi, whose Yorkville restaurant Osteria Giulia earned a Michelin Star in 2023. “Sammarco will build on the success of our other locations to offer guests exceptional food and an unparalleled dining experience that reshapes the concept of a steakhouse. From simple and beautifully presented food, attentive service, and a curated wine list, to bespoke plateware and fine Italian linen, we are creating an incredible hospitality venue.”
4b542ce0-f91d-168e-b336-97492708f428.png
An interpretation of the classic Italian steakhouse, Chef Rob Rossi and David Minicucci's latest entry to Toronto’s culinary scene, Sammarco, will offer an upscale dining experience.
O&B’s three restaurants – the newly launched The Joneses, Ceci Bar, and the refreshed Biff’s Bistro – each offer unique, chef-driven concepts and streetside patios. They are primed to play host to everything from the corporate lunch crowd and happy hour to pre-game dining and post-theatre nightcaps.

“We’ve been serving guests at 33 Yonge Street for almost 25 years and we’re excited to play a major role in the corridor’s transformation,” says Chef Anthony Walsh, O&B’s Corporate Executive Chef. “From retro Americana at The Joneses to spicy Latin-inspired cooking and cocktails at Ceci Bar to classic French fare at the newly revitalized Biff’s Bistro, there’s no shortage of chef-driven culinary experiences for guests to explore.”

Café Landwer and The Joneses are now open, with Biff’s Bistro and Ceci Bar opening this summer. Sammarco is due to open in November.

SOARING RENOVATIONS TO LOBBY

Extensive renovations to the building’s lobby are intended to create a sense of community, with a design that evokes feelings of pause and escape. Helmed by Alison McNeil from DIALOG, who drew inspiration from her extensive background in hospitality and workplace design, each of the lobby’s bold design moves draw direct inspiration from natural elements.

Upon entering the lobby, visitors will be greeted by oversized pillars which serve as a backdrop for a natural stone front desk. Evoking the feeling of arriving in a hotel lobby, the dramatic entrance is meant to offer a sense of discovery. Behind the arrival area, a pond surrounded by seating under hanging moss pendants offers a place for solitude and relaxation. An expansive wooden deck will take up the middle section of the lobby, offering a range of seating options and a fireplace feature.

To accentuate the soaring ceilings of the building’s atrium, the elevator bay will be wrapped in a nine-storey trellis-like structure. The trellis will feature live plantings and will be accompanied by an 80-foot-tall digital screen displaying art work.

“There is a perception that there is a sudden change in what workers need out of an office, but the way people work has been evolving for nearly two decades,” says McNeil. “A building must offer more than a computer, a desk and a chair. Buildings need amenities, spaces that inspire collaboration and, most importantly, they need to foster a sense of community. We’re excited to be working with GWLRA because they understand the importance of experience.”

1723225742101.png

To accentuate the soaring ceilings of the building’s atrium, the elevator bay will be wrapped in a nine-storey trellis-like structure.
AMENITIES AND FAÇADE

The lobby design is the latest in a series of upgrades to 33 Yonge, including an exclusive gym for building tenants and end-of-trip facilities including bike parking, showers, and a change room. The façade upgrades were designed by Gensler and are intended to bring a feeling of warmth and uniformity to the retail experience. Wood soffits, warm lighting and consistent materiality are being introduced to both entrances, as well as to the outdoor patios that line the podium.

Renovations on the façade have commenced and will be coordinated with hospitality tenants to avoid any disruptions during patio season.
BerczySqYonge1280.jpg
BerczySqParkside1280.jpg

This thread will not get a database file as there is no new square footage being created here, and therefore no pin on the map, sorry to say... but we are looking into ways of adding pins to the map for threads that don't have database files.

When I saw this for a second I thought they were demolishing this as with many other offices at this height and age…

This thread will not get a database file as there is no new square footage being created here, and therefore no pin on the map, sorry to say... but we are looking into ways of adding pins to the map for threads that don't have database files.
You could add databases for existing buildings, like a database similar to CTBUH or Emporis (Goodbye Emporis, 1996-2022)
We already have databases for buildings that have been completed recently. Like L Tower. So I think it would be more complete with even older buildings.
I created an example for an older building.
And now we have a pin on the map!
A thread already exists for this building below.

1723229400571.png

I was hoping that they would be doing something more ambitious here. This building feels rather generic yet has a location befitting a landmark like the Board of Trade building that once stood in its place.

The best two things about it are that it was designed to fit into the downtown vista behind the Gooderham flatiron building and not to overwhelm it or detract from its picturesque quality. The atrium is also impressive. Otherwise, it could use more warmth, character, and flair.

Last edited:
When I saw this for a second I thought they were demolishing this as with many other offices at this height and age…

You could add databases for existing buildings, like a database similar to CTBUH or Emporis (Goodbye Emporis, 1996-2022)
We already have databases for buildings that have been completed recently. Like L Tower. So I think it would be more complete with even older buildings.
I created an example for an older building.
And now we have a pin on the map!
A thread already exists for this building below.

View attachment 587154
This building is massive with roughly 700,000 leaseable square feet. If I remember correctly, it was completed in the early 1980s and has a class A status. There's nothing like this being torn down or considered for replacement. Don't be fooled by its 13 storey height near 50 storey plus towers

This building is massive with roughly 700,000 leaseable square feet. If I remember correctly, it was completed in the early 1980s and has a class A status. There's nothing like this being torn down or considered for replacement. Don't be fooled by its 13 storey height near 50 storey plus towers
Well, we do have this…

IMG_0602.jpeg

IMG_0604.jpeg

IMG_0601.jpeg

I was hoping that they would be doing something more ambitious here. This building feels rather generic yet has a location befitting a landmark like the Board of Trade building that once stood in its place.

The best two things about it are that it was designed to fit into the downtown vista behind the Gooderham flatiron building and not to overwhelm it or detract from its picturesque quality. The atrium is also impressive. Otherwise, it could use more warmth, character, and flair.
Totally agree, the whole building has a distinct lack of energy whenever I pass by it. While the atrium is impressive (size-wise), the anonymity of the public street facades leave much to be desired, and sap energy from what should be a very vibrant neighbourhood.

They should clear out and rework the ground floor into a highly permeable and flexible space that can spill onto Berczy park, and rebuild the BoT facade on the Front and Yonge corner while they're at it of course.

It's just a rendering. You're right about that. I misunderstood demolishing as happening or has happened vs speculative.

Back