News   Apr 19, 2024
 923     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 669     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Beltline Trail

Sure, but I think then the Roselawn work is redundant and unnecessary. If it was a longer strip, sure, but in the case of extending the trail I would just do this:

View attachment 551286

And put a Bikeway on the Allen Path on the west side connecting to the new York Beltline Trail extension.

I'm not sure why you would want to force someone to divert off Roselawn, down Marlee, back up to Elm Ridge, same road, for a one block detour? You're making the trip a lot longer than necessary. If one of the 2 segments were not to be built, in the near term, to me, its the Park segment that should be deferred, because its not continuous.

Elsewise, you're also conflating different department's budgets and jurisdictional authorities.

On the subject of the existing N-S path beside the Allen on the west side; it looks like this:

1711467169546.png

Its not really wide enough for a multi-use trail, even w/zero landscaping, you've got ~3M of width there.

I'm all for upgrading it, in theory, though I'm still holding out for burying the Allen which would make the point moot.

I'm not sure why you would want to force someone to divert off Roselawn, down Marlee, back up to Elm Ridge, same road, for a one block detour? You're making the trip a lot longer than necessary. If one of the 2 segments were not to be built, in the near term, to me, its the Park segment that should be deferred, because its not continuous.

Elsewise, you're also conflating different department's budgets and jurisdictional authorities.

On the subject of the existing N-S path beside the Allen on the west side; it looks like this:

View attachment 551288

Its not really wide enough for a multi-use trail, even w/zero landscaping, you've got ~3M of width there.

I'm all for upgrading it, in theory, though I'm still holding out for burying the Allen which would make the point moot.

Hmm, agree to disagree. There is plenty of room if that fence comes down on the left.

And I am all for removing unnecessary redundancy in the bike network. I don't ascribe to the ideology that "all bike lanes are good bike lanes" We need to spend the budget wisely.

I also prefer any off-road networks wherever possible, its safer, and in this case its possible and its really not that much a detour. its not like there is anything of interest on that section of Roselawn anyways.

The biggest benefit to putting even a small stub of protected bike lane on Roselawn is that there's actually quite a few apartment buildings on that small stretch with more being built. It's good that they will have high quality protected infrastructure.

Back