News   Apr 25, 2024
 40     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Bedrooms, Dens, and Offices.. 1+1 vs 1+den vs X+Y?

tendim

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi.

Looking around at condo listings I listings for "1 bedroom + den" , "bedrooms: 1+1", "1 bedroom + media", etc. Are there any standards as to what this means? If a unit is listed as "bedrooms: 1+1", does that mean there are two bedrooms? Or 1 bedroom plus an additional room?

Case in point: my own unit has a de-facto bedroom, but also a "solarium" which has its own door, albeit a French door, and no closet. The solarium (currently used as a work-from-home office) could be a bedroom if you thew a bed in there. So would my unit be a "2 bedroom"? Or a "1+1", or..?

I do know that when I purchased the unit I was told that they had to list the "2nd bedroom" as a "solarium" to get around some restrictions on the number of 2 bedroom units in the building; e.g. if they listed it as a 2 bedroom unit, it would impact what could be built. At the time, it was explained to me that the building had been approved for X 3 bedroom units, Y 2 bedroom units, Z 1 bedroom units, etc., so to not increase the number of 2 bedroom units, mine was sold as a "1 bedroom + solarium".

TIA,
-10d

Back