News   Mar 28, 2024
 922     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 529     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 830     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

I never really noticed this until I was going through the photos - but you can't see Bay-Adelaide Centre from the CN Tower's observation decks. The monstrosity that is FCP blocks it out completely!

5600_643166867507_122602698_38819697_6363101_n.jpg

5600_643167481277_122602698_38819763_4735380_n.jpg

Somebody posted a very large pano from the CN Tower a few weeks ago... on SSC I think. Anyway, it shows that you can actually see a very tiny sliver of BAC on the left side of FCP.

^The time it is most visible is when there are dark storm clouds in the east, but clear skies in the west at sunset (like this afternoon). The sun reflecting off of BAC contrasts heavily with the clouds in the background. I think that's the best time to view the BAC (just remember to bring an umbrella).

^The time it is most visible is when there are dark storm clouds in the east, but clear skies in the west at sunset (like this afternoon). The sun reflecting off of BAC contrasts heavily with the clouds in the background. I think that's the best time to view the BAC (just remember to bring an umbrella).

Sunrise in the morning should work well too, facing west.

FCP is certainly not a monstrosity. it is a toronto icon and i think, despite the dirty marble, has aged gracefully.

it is still a symbol, and architecturally, makes more noise than BAC.

A piece of public art inside a private building? So how long will they tolerate people who do not belong in the building, milling around their lobby- 2-3 mins tops, before they are asked to move on.

No milling in the lobby will be required. It seems to get the proper full view of the panels without craning one's neck to look up, one must be situated on the Adelaide Street sidewalk looking in. Perhaps this was the intention of the artist.

Last edited:
The building specifications mention that the lower 11 floors are "blast resistant". Does anyone know how they make it blast resistant?

All new buildings in the core have Death Star amenities, including blast resistency or blast doors. When the shit goes down, someone can yell "close the blast doors" and B/A will be secure.

800px-Death_Star_blast_door.jpg

Alos, nearby Trump will install an easily disabled tractor beam:
800px-ObiWan-tractorbeam.jpg

The extorior to the Bay Store will look shockingly like the detention block
800px-DetentionBlockAA23.JPG

Some city planners consider Stinson's old Sapphire site to be Alderon.

200px-Aldnds3.jpg
180px-Alderaanexplosion.jpg

Well, the Dark Side's forces will be able to get a lot closer to BAC now, as the concrete barriers on Temperance and Adelaide are being removed over the next couple of days, the sidewalks are being opened up and only some blue fencing will remain around the base.

New street lights on Temperence seem to be silver versions of the black ones being installed on Yonge Street.
Is this the new City of Toronto standard?

^The new lights look quite nice. They were on yesterday during daytime - I expect to test them out.

The sidewalks on Temperance and Adelaide are now open. Blue fencing still blocks off access to the building and the plaza.

Okay - here are some pictures. Click on the thumbnail and then click on the picture again to enlarge.

First up, the LED Panels from across the street at TT. Secondly, the PATH entrance from Scotia Plaza: view from inside Scotia Plaza at the panel where the entrance will be, view from behind that panel back toward the back of the panel, view of blocked entrance into the tunnel into the BAC under Adelaide and view through a hole at the top of that panel, zoomed and unzoomed, into the tunnel under Adelaide into the BAC. The doors at the far end are the entrance into BAC.

Attachments

• LED panel wall.jpg
    LED panel wall.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 494
  • Scotia plaza side.jpg
    Scotia plaza side.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 518
  • looking back at Scotia plaza side.jpg
    looking back at Scotia plaza side.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 486
  • looking at wall to BAC.jpg
    looking at wall to BAC.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 469
  • inside the looking glass.jpg
    inside the looking glass.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 483
  • through the looking glass.jpg
    through the looking glass.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 440
July 8

IMG_july-08-09-0018.jpg

IMG_july-08-09-0020.jpg

IMG_july-08-09-0021.jpg

IMG_july-08-09-0022.jpg

Flashing away like nothing.
IMG_july-08-09-0023.jpg

Odd not seeing fences after all these years.
IMG_july-08-09-0024.jpg

IMG_july-08-09-0025.jpg

IMG_july-08-09-0026.jpg

IMG_july-08-09-0027.jpg

Lights

They change in random patterns every couple seconds.

dsc01662e.jpg

dsc01661buh.jpg

dsc01660o.jpg

Back