News   Mar 28, 2024
 264     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 246     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 287     0 

Battery-electric bus transition plans (Ontario, funded by Metrolinx)

Is this ML program strictly for battery buses or for all zero emissions buses in general?

Aside from saving massive amounts of diesel on school days, they could be employed as grid-stabilization assets during off-hours/holidays/weekends to reduce the need for peaker plants/fossil coverage for renewables

This is well known. As are the benefits to not exposing kids to diesel fumes. Both on the bus itself, and in waiting areas at schools. Don't you just love how we usually build the daycares and kindergarten areas right near the bus loops?

In the US, the Biden administration has made significant commitments to electrifying school transportation. We don't have anywhere near the same national commitment in Canada. There's some federal funding that helps various operators electrify. But the only province I know of with a sustained long term plan and goal is Quebec: 65% of school buses electrified by 2030 and I think 100% by 2035.

GO-Transit should first solve this problem on their shaky buses lol...
20220907_004713.jpg

Haven't been on the electric GO buses--are they are shaky as the diesel buses?

All buses. The agencies choose. Not Metrolinx. Where Metrolinx can help is with volume discounts when multiple agencies can group orders together.
In terms of actually purchasing the buses, I imagine it would be the same process as with diesel buses. Metrolinx issues and RFP and awards the contract. The various agencies sign on and spec their buses.

Back