News   Mar 28, 2024
 414     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 756     0 

Bakeries

RJR123

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just some St Lawrence/Old town retail status updates for anyone interested..

-new building permit for a bakery (Petit Patisserie) in the base of Abbey Lane Lofts where the Dinner and DVD used to be

-George Brown Chef School (217 King street East): all windows removed as well the the cement ledges of the windows. It's a great looking building, and I hope the new windows do the building justice. Also, some serious interior gutting.

-Harvest house moves out of retail space in the King George Sq condo(168 king street east) condo to a much smaller space across the street.

-Fit for living gym at The Esplanade and Berkely moves out (xfers membership to Waterside sports club-Queens Quay)

-new TD Bank in the Market Square (80 Front Street e): Dry wall is complete/near complete.

Great news about a bakery finally coming into this neighbourhood! We need something other than high-end furniture shops along King East

I just want somewhere to get a decent loaf of whole wheat bread in this neighbourhood. My favourite kind at Carousel Bakery in the market is gone, and in the downstairs bakery at the market they never have anything there during the week (and while their selection is much stronger on Saturdays it's sheer madness).

RJR:

I think it's more of a pastry bakery (i.e. like Futures or Just Desserts) than a fresh bread and buns type of bakery.

In the window it pretty says that much as they are looking to hire a pastry chef..

Hopefully, they will have both.

I'm with you RJR. Though I go on the French principle - never by your bread where you buy your pastry. A good baker can only do one well.

Agreed. I've been relegated at times buying bread at Dominion, which flies in the face of my mission to eliminate any and all visits to the Dominon Front St Market...vile place.

St.John's Bakery, just across the valley on Broadview, bake a very nice range of breads and they employ socially marginalized people to do so - good Christians that they are.

Yes, I've actually tried some of their breads since they sell them at the Carousel Bakery at St. Lawrence and they are quite good. Unfortunately, you have to sometimes get there quite early before the limited inventory is snapped up!

I recently discovered Cob's Bread on Bloor/Spadina, just across the Dominion. I love their bread, fresh everyday.

BTW, can anyone tell me where I can buy bread that has walnuts?

I recently discovered Cob's Bread on Bloor/Spadina, just across the Dominion. I love their bread, fresh everyday.

BTW, can anyone tell me where I can buy bread that has walnuts?

Try the bakery on the lower floor of the St Lawrence market for bread with walnuts in it.

With wheat prices rising, the cost of a loaf at St.John's bakery is now $5. Their walnut and raisin bread, which is smaller in size, has gone up to $5.50. The walnuts are soft and green and delicious and it is sweet enough to be eaten as cake. The Brick Street Bakery in the Distillery also has similar prices now.

This morning I noticed Walnut Sourdough Bread at the Brick Street Bakery for $5 a loaf. And they're looking for a baker to hire.

I love real bread.

Us Eastern European immigrants call anything that looks and feels like Wonder Bread - "Wata", which essentially means "Sponge". The stuff is horrid.

Carousel Bakery at St. Lawrence is excellent. There's also several good bakeshops in Bloor West Village.

Thuet was still closed when I did my King West walkies last Saturday. I keep meaning to try their bakery, but either go on the wrong day, or at the wrong time.

Back