Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

I also squeeze 2 chairs, a small table and sometimes a BBQ out there! Its an intensively used 88sq feet. (22 x 4)
That's more than twice the size of mine. I used to live in a penthouse unit with a very large wrap-around balcony, but hardly ever used it because, being on the top floor, there was no shelter from the sun or rain. Plus it was near the lake, which meant lots of no-see-ums that in turn attracted spiders (they snacked on them) and lots of webs. No point clearing them - they built new ones in less than an hour! I'm happy with what I have now, small as it is. No insects, no spiders and no pigeons.

Plus it was near the lake, which meant lots of no-see-ums that in turn attracted spiders (they snacked on them) and lots of webs. No point clearing them - they built new ones in less than an hour! I'm happy with what I have now, small as it is. No insects, no spiders and no pigeons.
I had this experience living at Harbour Plaza - I believe it was around August, or late summer anyways, every corner of my balcony panels would have a spider. Tried clearing them once - back within the hour, as you said. It was interesting watching them start all the same size, in every corner, and over the course of maybe 2 months, some would grow large and eventually there would be only a handful of large guys left. I'm not sure if they managed to get all the food or and the others died off or if there were actual fights between the spiders, but it was interesting to watch.

Today

Skyline1.png

I’m at my balcony desk right now. View:

(Blanket condemnation of balconies is pretty tedious…)

I'm sorry, but what does that prove exactly? I claimed that balconies are underutilized. Go outside and look at the majority of this city's balconies (especially downtown); even in optimal weather, the majority are empty at best, and used as storage, at worst.

I'm sorry, but what does that prove exactly? I claimed that balconies are underutilized. Go outside and look at the majority of this city's balconies (especially downtown); even in optimal weather, the majority are empty at best, and used as storage, at worst.
Who cares if they appear to be. They're great to have the choice to walk out and get fresh air. While I'm not on mine 24h/7, I love the option to step out for a few minutes in the morning to see how the weather feels. I'd not consider a place without outdoor space, and it's safe to say most of Toronto feels the same, that trend isn't changing any time too soon.

I am also VERY thankful for one during this pandemic. I imagine they will start to get more utilized and appreciated as the work from home trend continues.

Can we just retire this monstrosity already? Mods, can you lock this thread permanently?*

*Half joking

This thread is a testament to architectural excellence and first-in-class retail design*. My go to whenever anyone mentions "good design is subjective".

*jokingly

AoD

Back