Aura at College Park | 272m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza COMPLETE

buildup

Member Bio
Reaction score
And now they are planning to deposit more of their bargain basement design build garbage on the north side of College.

When will the city finally say enough is enough?

Any developer looking to build in the Yonge-Bay corridor needs to be held to the design and construction standards being set in the area by Great Gulf, Lanterra and MOD...full stop.
City is too busy fighting M-G.

dt_toronto_geek

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
And now they are planning to deposit more of their bargain basement design build garbage on the north side of College.
I originally included that in my post, with concern, but it wasn't directly related to the College Park block so I scratched it. I'm always half hoping for a market correction to slow down the pace of these cramped, poorly designed condos going up in favor of fewer with great design/materials and livable sized units, including family units. The up side is there's also some great stuff going up, albeit still with mostly small and cramped spaces.

TheTigerMaster

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
There is, I think, a difference between an accident (falling trees) to what is probably a design defect (ice forming and crashing to the street). Closing streets is very expensive - directly and indirectly - to the City and to citizens (and those whose businesses are behind barriers.)
This incident seems to be an act of nature, not a defect in the design of the building. But I am of the opinion that the city needs to levy incredibly heavy fines against building owners if a defect in the structure design causes glass panes or ice to fall off.

DtTO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Dude. Can you please stop bringing Mirvish-Gehry and your related bitterness about Toronto city planners into every single thread? Seriously.
Why should he? City hall is incompetent beyond belief. They fight like preschool children over M-G and the Fords (turning their seats? Really? They remind me of a little kid plugging his ears and screaming) while ignoring the bigger picture.

BrianSolo

UT Member
Member Bio
Reaction score
If Gerrard street was closed between Bay & Yonge and Yonge was closed between Gerrard & College, how did the tenants at Aura get in and out of their own homes?

someMidTowner

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
If Gerrard street was closed between Bay & Yonge and Yonge was closed between Gerrard & College, how did the tenants at Aura get in and out of their own homes?
Very carefully :p

dt_toronto_geek

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Under ground via College Park?

dt_toronto_geek

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Yonge & Gerrard area still closed due to falling ice, that's what, day #5 now? Yonge buses continue to be diverted.

Hanlansboy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yonge & Gerrard area still closed due to falling ice, that's what, day #5 now? Yonge buses continue to be diverted.
Ok, stupid question of the day (leave it to me), but is this to become the normal every winter? Or is it simply because the exposed concrete floors create more surface area for ice to build up on? I'm hoping once all cladding is complete, the ice will have nothing to take hold of, otherwise, they'll have to close the street every winter

whatever

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's a combination of large, open concrete floors, and the floors below being heated while the upper floors are open to the elements. Once they get it closed in it shouldn't be a problem anymore.

dt_toronto_geek

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
That makes sense, thanks whatever.

maestro

Member Bio
Reaction score
Imagine if the DRP didn't exist to encourage Canderel to use curtainwall on the upper floors?