Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Re: Height Increase

From the planner:

A revised proposal has been submitted for a 75-storey (227m) tower on Yonge Street. Plans are available but must be viewed in our office by appointment only.

Regards,
Kelly

Kelly Dynes, MCIP, RPP
Senior Planner, Downtown Section
Community Planning, Toronto and East York District
City Planning Division
City Hall, 18th Floor, East Tower

I wonder what effect this news will have on the hurricane season.

Slim chance of getting a 227 m. tower approved at this location.

I bet that it could get approved. There are not a lot of homes, schools or important public squares that are going to be affected by having this tower at 75 stories, as opposed to 54 or whatever.

Seems like an appropriate location to me. Very few local opponents are likely, there are already a few towers on the site and one single taller tower will have fewer shadows than the earlier two tower proposal. Also I beleive the planning department prefers the greatest height to be allocated on the street corner rather than mid block like the previous proposal.

The City could also leverage significant community benifits for the extra height. I hope some funds go to improving the actual park there as it isn't in the best state of repair.

It will be the same number or less of new residential units on that corner then the two combined towers so I see no reason for it to be turned down. Our new city hall is very much pro-height providing the developer can meet the needs of the area residence and the city. It’s on the subway line, this falls under the cities agenda to intensify density along our major transportation hubs relieving congestion on our freeways.

From Element again:

*sigh* sorry guys, I had already sent it off to another department for their review. It's a very sleek tower, IIRC, with a lot more glass than ROCP I and II. It's got a sweeping roof element and definitely will make its mark on the skyline. I'll keep hunting for it at work tomorrow.. maybe try to recall it.

date certain: archivistower eats his words

Yonge & College is perfect the area is blighted currently, above a subway, on Yonge, two very tall towers are already present, and frankly the residents of the battered women's shelter (Ronald MacDonald?) have more significant issues of concern than opposing some 75 story tower.

Munch.Scream.jpg
Munch.Scream.jpg

"the battered women's shelter (Ronald MacDonald?)"

Ronald McDonald House is accommodation for the families of children being treated in Sick Kids hospital. Covenant House is next door.

Not to mention Cov/House is for youth.

The context of having a 75s tower at the site could be problematic, especially if one considers the built form along Yonge Street south of Gerrard. Going from supertall to 2-3s doesn't work that well. If anything, I would have preferred such a tower at the Maclean Hunter site instead, with progressively shorter towers going south along Bay Street, and Liberty (the existing condo at Bay + Gerrard) along Yonge south of College Park to continue the very strong streetwall effect there.

Oh well, the lack of forethought wrt to this site is showing...badly.

AoD

Back