Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Another example I suppose would be 1 Bloor East, which I think would be a great public square.

Or you end up with the situation at 2 Bloor East. Wasted space.

Does anyone else think College Park condo's look absolutely awful up close?

10 storey podium works well with the existing College Park streetwall.

Agreed - it will also hide the end of the 1980s (?) condo addition above the south part of the original store.

Agreed - it will also hide the end of the 1980s (?) condo addition above the south part of the original store.

Not to mention the line of ugly condos behind it ("it" being the location of the proposed development)!

The 10-storey podium is great news. Although I love the idea of a 60-storey tower, I wonder how it will look there. A nice rendering would be helpful.

a 10 storey podium - wow. I wonder if they're going to lease out the podium for commercial purposes? and if so, will they continue the march towards a time's square canyon-like feel for that stretch with big, bright ads?

If this is all true (and I hope it is!), it's wonderful...especially if the towers look as good as ROCP are turning out. (Hope the base is better done, though).
Sixty storeys would do wonders for visual 'oomph' on his site - and with the site posessing direct subway access, there's no reason to have less. Can't wait to see the renders!

Does anyone else think College Park condo's look absolutely awful up close?

So far I really like how the north tower is turning out, but I don't think that the base works. The south tower is beginning to rise now and it looks from where I live that they are now pouring the forms for the roof of the north tower.

It'll be great to see that parking lot go. Nevertheless. the current base is absolutely awful and the building is turning out OK. I think the sheer massing and height kind of make up for its weaker design elements (those little balconies look quite funny).

The RCP buildings are lame and colud get worse depending on how they treat the top. The only thing going for them is the height. If they had the same details but built the thing at 20 storeys no one would care. As it is at 50+ storeys it is impressive seeing CP I from far away. A 60s neighbour will be good too.

What I really would like to see with RoCP 3 is for the building to address the park in the centre block - as it stands now, the surrounding projects more or less kills the space, and this project is more or less the last chance to get it right before full built-out.

Perhaps the city should divert the Section 37 funds from the project for the explicit purpose of renewing the park.

AoD

I'd like to meet the person who decided on the Casa Loma base for ROCP. I agree its awful, but the perspective of its designer would be interesting to hear. Was it a 24 year-old Ryerson student with a medieval history certificate? Or more likely an building engineer faced with a request to "dress up" the base late in the process.
How did this happen?

Engineers don't design building facades and neither do students. Buildings like College Park are designed by architects that don't really follow current design trends (or are at least 15-20 years behind.) Unfortunately there are more bad designers in the profession than there are good. Of course we can also blame the developers that hire them and the people that buy the condos.

Back