News   Aug 23, 2024
 517     0 

Article: SUV (Standard Urban View) of suburbia

M

Mike in TO

SUV (Standard Urban View) of suburbia

Mon 13 Feb 2006, The Ottawa Citizen, Page A11, Andrew Potter

------------------------------------------------------------

Stop bashing the 'burbs: Much of the derision heaped on suburbia these days is mere urban snobbery My family has a cottage on the Ontario side of the Ottawa River, about 60 kilometres west of the nation's capital. When I was growing up, the trip to the cottage was a fun 45-minute drive past the incipient suburb of Kanata and through the gorgeous farmland of the Ottawa Valley.

Today, the drive still takes 45 minutes, as long as you stick to the new highway. If you take our old route, you spend most of the trip winding through suburban developments as the city elbows its way past Kanata and through formerly sleepy rural communities such as Carp and Kinburn.

In fact, ever since the megacity amalgamation a few years ago, our cottage is actually in Ottawa. Like virtually every other urban area of North America, the city is sprawling, with barely a million residents stretched out for 100 kilometres or so along the banks of the river. My older sister has done her part, playing minivan-ed soccer mom to four kids in a town not 20 kilometres from the cottage.

And while I've often wondered about her judgment, it never occurred to me that her chosen lifestyle was actually evil. That is, until recently, when I attended a screening of The End of Suburbia.

A documentary in the spirit of The Corporation or Bowling for Columbine, The End of Suburbia rehearses a number of familiar arguments. To wit: After the Second World War, Detroit auto makers teamed up with the housing industry and Big Oil to convince young couples that the American Dream did not rest in the filth and poverty of the City, but in the pastoral gentility of the Countryside. Egged on by advertising, millions of Americans were sold a bill of goods that provided neither the convenience of the city nor the charm of the country, but only the brain-dead pleasures of mass-market consumerism.

These pioneering young families soon found themselves stranded in cookie-cutter suburban developments, always named after what they had destroyed (Shady Pines, Oak Ridge, Mountain View, and so on). Stranded, that is, until they bought automobiles, which gave them the freedom to commute to work, bumper-to-bumper with their road-raging neighbours.

That's the argument, anyway. We can call this the SUV (Standard Urban View) of suburbia. According to the SUV, the suburban lifestyle is not just esthetically unappealing. Rather, it is responsible for a great deal of our modern woes, including global warming, smog, power blackouts, and, indirectly, Islamic terrorism.

Most of this is just lifestyle snobbery masquerading as social conscience. One of the commentators in the documentary opines that the suburban ideal is a big bait-and-switch, promising the countryside while substituting "industrially produced" lawns instead. Later, James Howard Kunstler, one of the most popular anti-sprawl writers out there, declares that suburbanites are living in "a consensual trance," which is little different from Adbusters editor Kalle Lasn's view that anyone who buys branded products is a brainwashed "Manchurian consumer."

Yet the people who move to the suburbs aren't nearly as stupid or careless or brainwashed as the makers of The End of Suburbia seem to think. They know they're going to get a lawn, a garage and a backyard. They know they will be miles from a store or cafe, and that they'll have to drive everywhere. Most people move to the suburbs with eyes wide open, fully aware of the tradeoffs they are making. They aren't looking for some pastoral idyll, but for more prosaic goods like privacy, space, quiet and parking.

In his recent book The City: A Global History, Joel Kotkin points out that people have been trying to flee the city for, well, as long as there have been cities. He notes, for example, that London's tremendous expansion was well under way by the 18th century, long before the advent of the automobile.

What distinguishes sprawl today and the sprawl of yesteryear is the social status of those in the suburbs. Until quite recently, cities were dirty and dangerous, so the rich took their advantage and escaped to the countryside.

Today, our cities are safe and clean, increasingly populated by the hip, the young, and the childless, while the suburbs are for those unwise enough to have children or vulgar enough to desire a driveway. The essentially status-based nature of the city-sprawl divide is underscored (and aggravated) by the widespread acceptance -- among urbanites, anyway -- of the "cool cities" thesis propounded by people like American sociologist Richard Florida.

According to Mr. Florida, our sustainable economic future rests with dense urban locales populated by gays, bohemians, and other members of the so-called creative class.

Does this mean we can reduce worries over global warming or an impending crisis to mere status-seeking? Not entirely. These are serious problems that require serious attention. But the misguided hyperbole of a film like The End of Suburbia only serves to distract our attention, leading us to focus on a distinction that is more imagined than real.

As Robert Bruegmann, a professor of planning at the University of Illinois at Chicago, pointed out in a recent article in The Guardian, sprawl always seems to be "where other people live, the result of bad choices and poor judgment by other people." Sprawl is like bad taste. No one admits to having it, yet somehow there seems to be a tremendous amount of it around. If we're going to have a serious public debate about the environmental problems we actually face and what steps we might take to deal with them, we first need to get past the agonized vanities of status-obsessed urbanists.

Andrew Potter is a columnist for Maclean's and co-author of The Rebel Sell: Why the Culture Can't be Jammed.

So is Potter trying to say that critiques of the suburbs are baseless until such time as the cool/uncool name-calling has ended?

Apparently Potter can't see the baby in the bathwater here, and out he has thrown it all. Great that he gets paid to write this stuuf.

I would recommend "End of Suburbia" to anyone of the forum - interesting movie.

Definitely not the best article on suburban growth that I've ever heard. Instead of speaking about the problem he attacks the wealth and trendiness of those on one side of the arguement. He attacks the poor view that they have of suburbia and yet says nothing to defend it, other than that some have chosen it. After mentioning that some choose suburbia he then goes on to say that the city is increasingly for the wealthy. He may be undermining his own argument by suggesting a link between income and suburban location, which makes one wonder whether it is the suburban lifestyle or cost that is the draw.

green:

Indeed. He also failed to note that in spite of the urban renaissance, the core area of most North American cities still contain substantial number of the poor, while the actively sprawling belt of outer-rim areas remain by and large fairly homogenous in terms of income. So much for the rich, snobby urban enthusiast argument.

AoD

I think he also missed the point of the movie, which was that suburbs-as-currently-designed are bad, not that everyone should buy a studio apartment downtown. There are plenty of people in Toronto who have driveways and lawns, but can still take transit to work because their neighbourhoods were planned with transit in mind.

bsb:

So to the suburbs: why not design your new towns like pre-war toronto?

Oh gawd, they do in a twisted way - New Urbanism - often taking the urban "style" without all the attendant benefits.

The problem isn't suburbanization per se ever - but suburbanization by the way automobile primacy, segregated land uses, etc.

AoD

Quite frankly, some people are boring; i prefer to live where they mostly do not (downtown.)
A sizeable proportion of the most boring, cloistered, closed-minded and oppressively dull people I have ever met self-consciously wrap themselves in the garb of "downtowner". So it depends.

Quite frankly, some people are boring; i prefer to live where they mostly do not (downtown.) That said, I have noticed quite a few of the new urbanites in condos downtown seem to be in that "boring" category. Perhaps condos are just another form of suburbia: isolationist, drive your car into your (underground) garage, live by the rules of the neighbourhood (condo board.) How tedious. To me, urban toronto is sitting on your front porch on a hot summer eve watching your neighbours walk by--the annex perhaps?

So to the suburbs: why not design your new towns like pre-war toronto?

There a lots of boring folks downtown, but there is, in general, a lot more people, and life is much more public, so there are more interesting ones in view.

--

They is a big debate right now on the size of new streets (like, in the portlands)....firetrucks want big, people who want interesting cities, not so car oriented (or at least, street form that slows cars down) want small.

So bring in the euro-style firetrucks; they're narrower but just as effective.

Yeah i agree with you, the majority of ppl i've met in toronto epitomize the dull, waspy stereotype of toronto of old. Which is why i'd rather be in mtl right now. I've met more interesting folk on my tours through small-town canada.

^Dunno where you've been finding these people. I've had the opposite experience here. There are *too many* interesting people.

There are different people everywhere.

There are people who live downtown and never step foot on Queen Street or anything thats not within a block of their apartments.
There are people who live downtown and partake in all it offers.

There are people in the suburbs who never partake in anything in the city.

There are people in the suburbs who are downtown every weekend enjoying everything the city has.

Its not so clean cut that if you live in the suburbs you don't enjoy the city, and stuff like that.

I'm finding myself agreeing to some extent with mike on this. It's more a question of personal attitudes than the question of where you physically live. The tall downtown condo towers do not necessarily connect their inhabitants to the city; they will connect if they want to, or will sit inside behind their closed doors 20 levels up if they want to. As one example, most of these buildings have their own recreation facilities, so how often do these people participate in programs at their local municipal recreation centres? They may or may not ever use the local cafe down the block. Of course, the same can be said for those in suburban apartment towers, or in single-family houses. You will find a wide range of attitudes.

Many who live in the suburbs are downtown all day for work, or evenings for entertainment, or both. They may be living in the burbs for any of a number of reasons (lower occupancy cost, greater privacy, proximity to family, etc.)

I also question any statements generalizing about income levels downtown versus those in the suburbs. Many cities including Toronto are seeing a shift. No longer are the more affluent necessarily tending to migrate outward seeking more space, with the working classes "stuck" in substandard housing in the central city. If anything the reverse has been true over the past 20 years. In Toronto, some of the lowest income neighbourhoods are found in Rexdale, parts of Scarborough, and yes even some parts of Mississauga. The picture is becoming much more complex.

Observer Walt, the central part of Toronto as in the north central part north of Bloor has always stayed high income, and never lose out to the burbs.

Everyone is different. And there are tons of people in the burbs who enjoy the city just as much as anyone living right downtown. The subways are packed on a weekend from North York and Scarborough and Etobicoke into downtown for a reason.

I think we have to remember that some people just look for a house to live in, and don't look if it is suburban or urban.

But overall, my 80 year old neighbour always gives me hope and shows me that suburbanites do enjoy the city :)
I always see her at the bus stop going downtown to enjoy the city. She just loves the city, but lives in Scarborough because thats where she got her house when she first moved to Canada.

Now switch 180 degrees to my co-worker who lives downtown. All she knows is the Eaton Centre and thats it. She does not partake in anything else that downtown offers.

So everyone is different.

Back