510     0 

Architectural Style Inquiry

rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
Is this Greek Revival? Thanks!
AF89084A-C75B-4E8E-87CC-1DC48EC430B3.jpeg
8B05F726-22DE-473A-B0AC-067073A8E473.jpeg

Hi! I was in Davenport-Perth this morning on Osler and saw this narrow opening. Now it looks too small to be for passage so what is the reason for its existence? Thanks!

IMG_8337.jpeg

IMG_8336.jpeg

I think it really is just meant for access to the other side. Definitely unusual for them to connect on the second floor but not the ground floor.

That pic more than anything else shows how sad it is to cover up original brickwork with inferior materials.

I'm late to this party, but yes, this is an example of Greek Revival, specifically, Greek Revival in the Doric Order. That said, it isn't incorrect to call it Classical, since the term can be used to refer to any architecture from classical antiquity, however that term is mostly reserved for Roman-inspired styles, whereas Greek-inspired ones are generally identified specifically as Greek.

One easy way you can quickly identify a Doric Greek is by looking at the columns. Unlike the Romans, the Greeks did not build their doric columns with a base. They go straight into the floor. But another place is in the frieze (That's the strip in the entablature above the columns that has the repeating "|||" pattern. In Greek, the pattern (called a "Triglyph") goes right up to the edge of the entablature, while in Roman architecture, there is typically a small gap before the edge in order to align the triglyph with the column below. Finally, you could look at the rounded section at the top of the column. This is called the, "Echinus". In Roman Architecture, this part will be perfectly rounded and spherical, while with Greek, it'll look more squished.

Of course there are other ways to differentiate between the two styles, but when you have Doric columns, it's really easy—it's all about that base... or rather lack thereof! 😁👍

Last edited:

Back