News   Apr 24, 2024
 994     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 637     0 

An Alternative Planning Process for the City of Toronto (Munk Centre Panel - Apr. 30)

299 bloor call control.

Member Bio
Reaction score
I attended a panel discussion at the Munk Centre yesterday discussing 'An Alternative Planning Process for Toronto' preceding the Jane Jacobs Awards. Definitely was one of the more interesting discussions I've been to lately and below is an excerpt from the 1000+ word response on my blog.

The discussion will be put online in the next few days, I'll post it when it comes up - definitely worth listening to.

An Alternative Planning Process for Toronto

Fixing Toronto’s “broken” and “dysfunctional” planning process was the subject of a panel discussion yesterday at the Munk Centre at the University of Toronto, hosted by the Institute on Municipal Finance and Governance (link). It was one of the more insightful and positive panel discussions I have attended lately and there are some good ideas coming out of it, but also some pressing questions. Sadly, there was only time for three questions and I left without being able to ask mine; however, I will be emailing Councillor Adam Vaughan to pose it, and hopefully have an answer on here later on.
There were three speakers on the panel, the first being Howard Cohen, a partner at Context Developments, probably my favourite developer in Toronto, behind such projects as Radio City, Sp!re, and the recently announced Market Wharf (incidentally, Market Wharf is at 18 Lower Jarvis Street, the site I had chosen in my 4th year Land Development Planning course). The second speaker was Dina Graser, who is part of People Plan Toronto, a collection of community and ratepayer groups and interested individuals who are advocating for an improved planning process in Toronto. And finally, Councillor Adam Vaughan (Ward 20 - Trinity Spadina), who has been proactively engaging his constituents on the large number of new developments in his ward.
Each speaker began with their evaluation of the current planning process in the City and several recurring themes emerged. The first was that the Planning Department is chronically understaffed and underfunded, and even worse, demoralized. The department is taking on too much with insufficient resources and seeing their work opposed by citizens and politicians. Which leads to the second theme - the Ontario Municipal Board. Ms. Graser called for the outright abolishment of the OMB, while Councillor Vaughan’s new process would lead to the OMB’s natural demise. Mr. Cohen remained mum on the issue, though I did not sense he had a feeling either way. It was clear though from all three speakers that the OMB was a major obstacle to effective city planning.
The third theme was the need to give community groups the resources and ability to be involved in the process in a positive and constructive way. Public participation too often occurs too late in the planning process and when it does, is often a collection of NIMBYs and BANANAs. Educating the public and involving them early in the process would create a more amicable and productive dialogue.
Finally, there was a call for a change in the political process. “The ward councillor reigns supreme” was probably the quote of the day from Mr. Cohen, and was echoed by both Ms. Graser and Councillor Vaughan. Not to mention that all planning matters, from a large condo to a new fence, end up before the community councils with little pre-evaluation and useful feedback. Mr. Cohen called for the creation of a Planning Committee to vet development applications and provide recommendations - and therefore giving councillors a backbone to back developments that are good city building, but bad politicially.
The main act of the panel discussion was clearly Councillor Vaughan’s proactive planning process he was elected on and has effectively implemented since taking office. I have to give Councillor Vaughan a lot of credit - few politicians at City Hall take planning as seriously as he does, and even fewer are as dedicated to the cause. He has taken a “no one is privileged” approach to development information - quickly disseminating information to his community as soon as it reaches his office and encouraging the public to be immediately involved. This involvement is realized through countless consultation sessions which allows developers and residents to work together to resolve the issues before it reaches the statutory process. He claims that since putting this approach into place, applications reach the statutory phase with all issues already resolved, therefore ‘fast-tracking’ approval - saving the developers money and removing the threat of litigation in front of the OMB. It is quite possibly a win-win-win situation.
Another part of Councillor Vaughan’s approach is to engage the community in voicing their needs, concerns, and desires for their neighbourhoods through mental mapping (a project conducted with the assistance of Ryerson planning students - cheap labour!). The result will be a website where residents and developers can better understand the community and be aware of its sensitivities. This in itself would help developments ‘fit’ into its context and developers would not be blindsided by unexpected issues. Furthermore, this project would form the basis of an ’scoring sheet’ on which all developments would be evaluated. The advantage of this type of method is in consistent expectations - again, no one would be surprised, and everyone knows what is expected.
read the rest here

299, I wouldn't exactly consider Adam Vaughan to be the paragon of collaborative planning. He has demonstrated his biases time and again, with his movement to kill the club district and his rather dogmatic stance about Leon's moving into the old roundhouse. To say that he has a "no one is privileged" approach to planning is somewhat disingenuous.

I'm not defending Vaughan's biases, as all politicians have their biases, but I have to give him credit where it is due in creating a more viable process for planning. It's not perfect, but it's definitely better than the system that exists in the city, where conflicts occur more than constructive solutions. What he proposes is one solution, and there were others put forward in the panel discussion - such as the creation of a Planning Committee at City Hall, which is sorely needed.

"No one is privileged" referred to his stance on the dissemination of information - I probably should have made that clearer in my post. He meant that developers shouldn't expect to pass along information to his office and it become 'privileged' information and kept from the public until the developer sees it necessary to be released. I've personally come to keep a lot of information that comes by me through my work 'privileged', which I think is the par for the course, as much as I personally believe people should know what is being proposed or worked on for their community.

Every councellor has their own little pet projects and biases, but I agree with 299 that Vaughan is taking an active engagement in the planning process which is not done by the majority of his fellow elected officials. I was one of the Ryerson students who gave cheap labour to the City and learned a lot about the importance of community involvement within the planning process. So often are concerns from the community ignored where there is no choice but to take it to the OMB. We met with lots of people within the community who are YIMBYs, or pro-development, they just wish to have good development that adds to the community and doesn't turn it's back onto it (CityPlace anyone?) It was a good project to work on and though I didn't continue on with it due to other circumstances, it was a great experience as a studio project.

Okay, I see what you mean re: privilege. At least he takes a vested interest in planning, rather than letting developers run away with it (Kyle Rae) or siding with the ratepayers' group that can yell the loudest (most others).

Power breeds corruption

Can't trust the councillors. Planning issues should be put to vote via referendums rather than being decided by a few interest groups or the inner circles of city hall. Good example is the pending dismantling of the ramp from DVP to the Gardiner which is being decided behind the back of tax payers in favor of the develpers.

Can't trust the councillors. Planning issues should be put to vote via referendums rather than being decided by a few interest groups or the inner circles of city hall. Good example is the pending dismantling of the ramp from DVP to the Gardiner which is being decided behind the back of tax payers in favor of the develpers.

I'm getting the impression Trekker doesn't like the idea of dismantling the Gardiner. It's a hunch.

At any rate, referendums for planning issues? There are (at least) thousands of these in the city every year. I'm not sure how we would organize a vote on each. There's a lot of public consultation for any large changes to the city's structure, and you'll get your chance to speak regarding the expressway.

Back to topic: I think it would be in the best interests of all stakeholders involved if less information was kept private, and surprises were kept to a minimum. I suppose developers may not want the competition knowing what they're planning too far in advance (e.g., heights for 1 bloor east and Arura).

Back