538     0 

Americans commute earlier, longer

W

wyliepoon

Yahoo News

Link to article

Americans commute earlier and longer

Mon Oct 16, 12:06 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Americans are leaving home earlier to get work, fewer are walking, and more are driving alone, according to a study of commuting trends released on Monday.
ADVERTISEMENT

The study, published by the Transportation Research Board, found people are also taking longer to reach their workplaces, with the number of people with commutes lasting more than 60 minutes growing by almost 50 percent between 1990 and 2000.

Alan Pisarski, author of the study 'Commuting in America III,' said the average national travel times among the nation's 128 million commuters grew to 25.5 minutes in 2000 from 22.4 minutes in 1990 and 21.7 minutes in 1980.

He said latest census data also showed that more Americans were leaving for work between 5 a.m. and 6:30 a.m. with men making up the majority of early-morning commuters.

"It's much more a product of the transportation system than the fact that they have an early starting time," Pisarski said.

"Before 8 a.m. it's very much a guy thing. The earlier, the more male it is and after 8 a.m. women are actually the majority of the commuters."

The Transportation Research Board is a division of the
National Research Council, an independent adviser to the federal government and others.

Pisarski, who published similar studies on commuting in 1987 and 1996, said fewer people were walking to work.

After studying census data from 1990-2004, he found the number of Americans walking to work had dropped to 2.9 percent in 2000 from 3.9 percent in 1990 and 5.6 percent in 1980.

More people were driving alone to work, with an increase of almost 13 million solo drivers in the 1990s.

Commutes were also getting longer, with the proportion of workers travelling less than 20 minutes dropping to 47 percent in 2000 from around 50 percent.

But Pisarski said American commuting trends were about to change, with baby boomers reaching retirement age and more people starting to work from home. The percentage of people working from home had risen to 3.6 percent from 3.3 percent in 2000.

He forecast that future trends in commuting would be influenced by the growing number of newly arrived immigrants in the workforce.

"Unlike most native-born Americans or immigrants who have been in the United States for more than five years, many new immigrants either carpool, bike, walk, or use public transportation for their daily commute," Pisarski said in a statement.

average national travel times among the nation's 128 million commuters grew to 25.5 minutes in 2000 from 22.4 minutes in 1990 and 21.7 minutes in 1980.
My commute (to high school) went from 20 mins last year to 22 this year, mainly because of a new bus driver...
he found the number of Americans walking to work had dropped to 2.9 percent in 2000 from 3.9 percent in 1990 and 5.6 percent in 1980.
at my school 2 people out of a random few hundred walk...The figure is mainly due to the 'sprawl without growth' thing though.
"Before 8 a.m. it's very much a guy thing. The earlier, the more male it is and after 8 a.m. women are actually the majority of the commuters."
Is 8am early for anyone here? I wake up at 5:30 and leave at 6:30 every morning...8:00 is ridiculously late.
"Unlike most native-born Americans or immigrants who have been in the United States for more than five years, many new immigrants either carpool, bike, walk, or use public transportation for their daily commute," Pisarski said in a statement.
That might be true, but the (stupid) 'american dream' thing makes them all want to get a car... speaking of bikes, our school has 10 spots for bikes and only 4 spots are ever filled, if any.

"Is 8am early for anyone here?"

No, that's about right, maybe just a bit late, for my bedtime.

my point was, the last time I left my house at or past 8am on a schoolday was when I lived in Saratoga, NY and we had a snow delay... Here, I leave at 6:30 and never regularly left past 7:30. The article makes it sound like "oh, that dude leaves his house at 7:50! he must be a hardcore early waker-upper!" The most "hardcore" waker-uppers I know are in the swim team, who have practice at 4:50 AM.

Back