News   Apr 25, 2024
 135     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 396     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Allstream Centre (CNE Automotive Building Renovation, 2s, David Clusiau @ NORR) COMPLETE

rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
Has anyone seen images of this project? Another small but important step in Exhibition Place's incremental evolution. There is an image on the Star's website along the right hand side.

April 23, 2008
Print-friendly version
Conference centre redevelopment commences construction

The following news release is being sent on behalf of Exhibition Place.

Today, His Worship Mayor Miller, and Deputy Mayor & Chair of Exhibition Place Joe Pantalone officially broke ground to celebrate the start of construction of Toronto’s newest Conference Centre redevelopment.

The 160,000 square foot Automotive Building, at Exhibition Place is undergoing a $46.88 million renovation to create a new Conference Centre which is targeted to achieve LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Silver rating design standard. The design of the Conference Centre is respectful of the historical aspects of the original Art Deco building, and will feature panoramic lake views and natural light throughout the lobby, pre-function and meeting room spaces. Consultations with meeting and convention planners and industry partners have resulted in a user-friendly, environmentally responsible design. Upon completion in spring 2009, the project will become a showcase as it will be the first LEED Silver Conference Centre in Canada.

“As Chair of the Board of Governors of Exhibition Place, I am excited about this redevelopment as yet another element in the ongoing rejuvenation of Exhibition Place. This results in Canada’s largest and most modern convention and exhibition centre in the Direct Energy Centre/Conference Centre Complex, with over one million square feet of space under one roof, and supports the City’s important tourism industry,†said Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone.

Architects for the Conference Centre redevelopment is Toronto-based architects NORR Limited, Architects & Engineers, David Clusaiu, Principle Architect; and the General Contractor for the project has been awarded to Markham-based Van Bots Construction.

About Exhibition Place
Exhibition Place is Canada’s largest entertainment venue, attracting over 5.2 million visitors a year. Located at Exhibition Place is the award-winning Direct Energy Centre, Canada’s largest exhibition and convention centre. The 192-acre site is an integral component of Toronto and Ontario’s economy, particularly with respect to sport, festivals, recreation, culture and tourism.

The need for additional meeting rooms and ballrooms was identified in the Development Concept Plan of the Board of Governors of Exhibition Place. Exhibitions, meetings and conventions may utilize the Conference Centre as a stand alone venue or in combination with the adjacent 1 million square foot Direct Energy Centre complex - Canada’s largest exhibition and convention centre. The Conference Centre will be connected to Direct Energy Centre via an underground walkway, offering attendees year round, climate controlled access from the exhibition halls and underground parking facilities.

In September 2007 The Board of Governors of Exhibition Place entered into exclusive negotiations with HKHotels following their response to a Request for Proposal for the development, construction and management of an on-site, privately-financed convention hotel. The HKHotels proposal sited the hotel in the lands south of the Direct Energy Centre, and adjacent to the Automotive Building/Conference Centre.

Since 2004, Exhibition Place has undertaken an environmental stewardship initiative, which includes the promotion of sustainable development, environmental initiatives and leading edge green technologies and practices across the 192-acre site. This environmental initiative has resulted in award winning recognition across North America, and has established Exhibition Place as a world leader in energy-efficient technologies.

For information:
Laura Purdy, Director of Sales & Marketing, Exhibition Place, 416-263-3020, lpurdy@explace.on.ca

There's a picture of it in today's Toronto Star. The interior has been totally gutted and the roof removed; only the exterior is being retained.

from The Star:

8afdad6c4921a869a9a25863542a.jpeg

That's quite the new skylight.

I suppose this was one of those buildings, however dumpy, that I never expected to see change...

Holy crap - I had no idea this was happening. Let's hope they finally get rid of the hideous metal thing that had been standing out front obscuring the original facade, and remove the planks from all the windows. They better not touch the lamps in the entrance lobby though.

Wouldn't this count as the ultimate facadectomy? It will be an entirely new building, retaining all of the old exterior facade.

The whole ex needs redoing

Although this building is being gutted, the main essence of it as always been it's exterior, not it's interior. The inside was drab and looked more like a warehouse than an exhibition pavilion. The facade is an art deco jewel, which I hope will be restored to it's original glory. I just hope that the overhaul being done in this building continues across the Ex's grounds. Will we ever see the Ex becoming more than a parking lot wasteland? I hope so. Why not put some amateur sport venues there, venues that are sorely lacking not only in Toronto, but across the GTA? What about a pedestrian grand avenue linking the Direct Energy Centre to Ontario Place? Weren't there plans to put an aquarium there? What about building some housing and having some commercial development? The fact is that the ex is mainly dead space for most of the year. It's a waste. Does anybody know if there is a plan to get some proper use out of it?

Although this building is being gutted, the main essence of it as always been it's exterior, not it's interior. The inside was drab and looked more like a warehouse than an exhibition pavilion.

Though technically, that was the essence of the place from day one: an exhibition pavilion as a simple warehouse-like volume. It was designed for the annual Motor Show, remember.

Indeed, the Avtomotive Bvilding probably pioneered the flexible, open-plan "megaspace" parti for exhibition buildings around these parts; earlier CNE buildings were too internally chopped-up, and the alternatives were things like armouries, arenas, etc. With the Avtomotive Bvilding, we took an important step en route to the age of convention & trade centres...

Fortunately then, the "ultimate facadectomy" isn't very negative since the interior was never spectacular. The facade isn't going to be tacked onto a fifty storey tower, either.

The Ex really has a lot of potential as a tourism generator. A district of galleries, museums, cultural sites, businesses, housing and lots of new parkland could make this into an international attraction. Canals could replace some streets. It could be grand. The location is great, the architecture of the buildings in general is lovely too.

Wouldn't this count as the ultimate facadectomy? It will be an entirely new building, retaining all of the old exterior facade.

Nah...more like the ultimate restoration. It was basically just a large enclosed empty space, consisting of four walls and a roof...the roof is being replaced (which wasn't of any particular architectural or aesthetic importance to the building). The four walls are being properly restored (replacing unsympathetic upgrades over the decades). Services to the building are obviously being totally upgraded (also not an issue).

So calling this a facadectomy is a disservice to proper and thorough restorations.

Holy crap - I had no idea this was happening. Let's hope they finally get rid of the hideous metal thing that had been standing out front obscuring the original facade, and remove the planks from all the windows. They better not touch the lamps in the entrance lobby though.

I've always kinda liked the space frame in front of the Automotive Building, It obscures the Facade a bit, but it's also an interesting juxtaposition. I wish they'd pull it away from the facade further, and give those niches some breathing room.

Automotive_Building.JPG

Ultimately I think this is the kind of project that will revitalize Exhibition Place and start to see it change and evolve into a more mature destination.

I don't think the Indy has any place there anymore, there are too many residents in the area and it causes such traffic problems. Few cities have a race like this in their downtown, it would better suited at Downsview where they could have more parking and an airport circuit.

BMO should be expanded to 30,000 seats and retrofitted to allow CFL dimensions.

The parking lots south of lakeshore could be developed, condo, hotel, with lots of underground parking. They could lure RIM into town and build them a nice business park. There is just so much wasted space there that really only gets used for the CNE every year. Heck, get rid of the CNE too.

In conclusion, the Exhibition needs change.

Back