News   Oct 18, 2024
 146     1 
News   Oct 17, 2024
 901     1 
News   Oct 17, 2024
 678     3 

Alliance Française Expansion (24 Spadina Road, 3s, Hariri Pontarini)

Photos taken 5 January 2013

IMG_2216_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2221_1-XL.jpg

To me the best thing about this project is that a driveway that disrupts the pedestrian realm is being filled in.

The whole thing may as well be a driveway. The way it meets the street is a complete disaster. Had it not had that old house attached, people would complain about those steps and a wall literally blocking all interaction between the building and a major thoroughfare. If this is the kind of crap we're to expect out of mid rise projects (I'm assuming it wouldn't be feasible to move the house closer to the street), then they should leave the heritage preservation to the side streets before our major roads are permanently lined by bungalows with buildings attached in the backyard.

The render appears to be quite out of proportion and I don't think there is much to worry about.

The staircase will be nowhere near that wide (the left, or south, driveway is for parking at the rear of the neighbouring office building and will stay). And the existing house is not that far above street level, leading me to believe the retaining wall and new staircase won't be as tall either.

Photos taken 19 March 2014.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 581
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 566