News   Sep 26, 2024
 593     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 1.2K     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 702     0 

Alexander The Great Parkette Revitalization (Greektown BIA, FFLA)

alexthegreat-parkette-08.jpg

alexthegreat-parkette-09.jpg

alexthegreat-parkette-10.jpg

Agree with those disappointed that it's effectively the same as it was pre-renovation. There was a chance here to remove the on-street parking and bump the square out a bit more to both provide more space for pedestrians and to slow vehicles down as they drive northwards on Logan. As someone who the frequently used the Logan parkette path thing it's basically incentivized to jaywalk Logan to continue and that is difficult between on-street parking and vehicles driving too quickly. Removing on-street parking b/w Danforth and the Parkette would have been nice road diet. There's no shortage of surface parking lots along that path corridor. It still bugs me to no end that Chester Station has surface parking on both sides.

Agree with those disappointed that it's effectively the same as it was pre-renovation. There was a chance here to remove the on-street parking and bump the square out a bit more to both provide more space for pedestrians and to slow vehicles down as they drive northwards on Logan. As someone who the frequently used the Logan parkette path thing it's basically incentivized to jaywalk Logan to continue and that is difficult between on-street parking and vehicles driving too quickly. Removing on-street parking b/w Danforth and the Parkette would have been nice road diet. There's no shortage of surface parking lots along that path corridor. It still bugs me to no end that Chester Station has surface parking on both sides.

I will say, at this point, that bumping out the curb and including Logan was suggested to the BIA before this project was too far along. The BIA declined to include the additional work. They were wrong.

Overall, fairly meh, even with my modest expectations.

It feels a bit cheap, particularly the benches around the trees. I also think they missed the opportunity to have some Greek column-style lamp posts. If you're going for kitsch, go all the way in.

Are there plans to add patio furniture in the summer?

I will say, at this point, that bumping out the curb and including Logan was suggested to the BIA before this project was too far along. The BIA declined to include the additional work. They were wrong.
Classic BIA, but I'm also in the these-streets-should-be-pedestrianized camp and I know I won't be satisfied very often.

Classic BIA, but I'm also in the these-streets-should-be-pedestrianized camp and I know I won't be satisfied very often.

Logan here, perhaps could be, though there are rear laneways on both sides of Logan servicing the businesses, that I would presume should have access via Danforth. (sending trucks, in particular down residential streets wouldn't be desirable)

Regardless, we can all agree that removing the parking here was a no-brainer, and that being one-way, Logan required only enough ROW for a single traffic lane and a cycle track, at most.

It could also then have been visually integrated into the square.

I'm pretty sure that the city has long banned street parking on Logan south of the laneway, so the cars you always see there are parked illegally

I'm pretty sure that the city has long banned street parking on Logan south of the laneway, so the cars you always see there are parked illegally

This is correct, however, the only sign saying so is located north of the laneway.

Between that and what I expect is spotty enforcement.........

People have accepted the ever present parked cars. (at least one of which is too close to the intersection to be legal anyway, but I digress).

I should probably elaborate. Toronto prohibits parking within 9M of a regulated intersection.

Back