News   May 10, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.8K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Afro-Centric Schools

If, after a couple of years, Afrocentric Schools prove to produce fantastic results f

• YES. If it's working, keep it.

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • NO. I don't care if it's working, it still offends my liberal sensibilities and it must be closed.

Votes: 21 53.8%

• Total voters

Mystic Point

Member Bio
Reaction score
If, after a couple of years, Afrocentric Schools prove to produce fantastic results for African Canadian students, ( i.e. exceptional academics, fewer drop outs, less anti-social behavior ) do you still think they should be shut down or banned?

Heck, if it can provide exceptional academics, fewer drop outs and less anti-social behavior for young blacks, then I'd be supporting it. Now, if they could also stop the scourge of young, unmarried girls living in single-parent homes getting knocked up by males who don't care or take responsibility, thus raising our city's next generation of lost souls and thugs...then I'd fund it myself.

If you are going to do a poll, try not to load the answers so obviously.

If you are going to do a poll, try not to load the answers so obviously.

it's too bad they don't teach logic in grade school & high school. they should have whole courses devoted to it.

I was in London, and one of the things that has happened up in Northern England is that the new immigrants (Indo Immigrants) end up going to separate schools (I think fairly high number of people go to private schools in England). There have been a number of riots in Northern England between immigrant groups and the rest (English of several generations). Since people are going to private schools, there is less mingling/integration happening there and this affects the peoples sense of belonging to the same society (IMHO). If Afro-Canadians go to separate schools, it means that Caucasian population will not be in the same schools - which will eventually become a segregated society. Even if people get better grades, I am afraid that it will have negative long-term consequences in Canada where people do not integrate early. If it does not happen early, it is less likely to happen later. I really think this is going down the wrong road. If their is a problem with history etc in the public school system, then more world history (of different perspectives) should be taught -- not separate schools. If "afro-Canadians" are falling behind, set up a mandatory tutorial system for people that are failing. It might be expensive - but it is a better option.

Hopefully this pilot program will succeed at improving the lives and welfare of the underachieving students who attend it, focusing not on their race but rather their aptitudes for learning. At any rate, it's refreshing to see something's finally being done to stem the tide of these kids futures and bring light to the hidden social injustices so readily forgotten or ignored by general society/media concensus at times.

The likely outcome will be that the only kids who wind up going to this new school will be those with highly-involved and interested parents since it takes effort to put your kid into an alternative school. These kids, of course, are very likely to be successful in any school they attend. Therefore, I'm sure this new school will be a great success, though it won't necessarily do much for the kids who are actually struggling and disadvantaged.

The likely outcome will be that the only kids who wind up going to this new school will be those with highly-involved and interested parents since it takes effort to put your kid into an alternative school. These kids, of course, are very likely to be successful in any school they attend. Therefore, I'm sure this new school will be a great success, though it won't necessarily do much for the kids who are actually struggling and disadvantaged.

that's a very important point.

It's more likely to end up being a dumping ground. If they want to target high risk students then you'd probably need some sort of written letter of (de)merit.

I think if all people were fed the world would be a better place but that doesn't mean it will ever happen.....I hated the way this poll was framed!

Back