News   Apr 19, 2024
 584     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 706     1 

Advice needed for pre-sale condo unit in poor conditions

Shiny

Member Bio
Reaction score
During PDI, I found 50-100 issues about the small unit that I purchased from Lanterra Developments. I understand that they can not fix all problems within one week, and therefore, I pointed out four major issues including a broken window that leaks wind/snow/rain to the room that need to be fixed before the closing day.

After waiting without reply about the priorities of tese issues, I called the customer care centre, and the lady blurted that "as long as you have running water, the unit is livable and we can close the unit." I was really angry about this attitude. How could they say that I can live in a unit with improperly installed appliances like fridge, missing sliding doors in closet, poor painting throughout the units, and missing knobs on all cabinets, broken windows, etcs? They also mentioned that they have 150 days to fix the issues, and how can I live during the winter without a proper window and pay high heat fee?

Where can I complain and how can I protect my interests?

They also mention that they are not responsible for any issue that I did not notice once I move in. I do not know if I can find more issues.

Here are the major issues that I have found so far - if you are an owner with similar problem, can you PM me?

• Scratched wood floors.
  • Damaged windows that link wind/rain/snow to the room
  • Missing knobs on all cabinets
  • Improperly installed fridge with missing components
  • Missing doors in closet
  • Scratched windows/stove surface
  • Poor paint and drywall work throughout the unit
  • Subpar tile work in bathrooms;
  • Construction debris not cleaned up
  • Customer care centre said that "as long as you have running water, the unit is livable" despite it would be cold and the rain/snow/wind would ruin the unit

Last edited:
What did your lawyer tell you when you gave them a copy of the inspection report?

Basically, Lantera is right (some builders are better than others) but there are steps you can take to ensure you get compensated for any damage to your property caused by their issues. What you need to do and how to obtain it is between you, the builder, and your respective legal council.

After sending emails to and call/text the PDI rep, the builder, lawyer, and customer care team, I finally received a reply. They would get 75% of the items done, and would cover the major things I have outlined first. They also explained what the customer care representative meant.

The customer care rep was not patient enough to check which unit I was from and what issues that I had before she said that only running water mattered for the unit. Her boss said that the customer rep meant to advise me that a unit requires water to be operational within the kitchen, bathroom". I do not want to argue since now they plan to fix all the major problems before I move in. The customer rep of the builder might have other customer with similar problem, or she thought that I would not be a very vocal customer. In the end, I strongly suggest that they adopt some good customer service practice such as reply within 24 hours, asking for unit number, listening for problems before making judgement.

Now let us see if they can deliver their promise next Monday when I get my key. I will update the information here. If they did deliver based on their promise, I might delete this thread. Otherwise, I will post some pictures of the unit's condition here.

Back