News   Apr 19, 2024
 690     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 742     1 

Advice - Going to Boston/New England

jn_12

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm going to Boston in a couple weeks with a couple friends and my girlfriend on a bit of a roadtrip. We'll be in Boston for 4 nights, then we're driving up to Burlington Vermont for a night before coming home (wanted to take a different route home since the I90 is a boring drive). So far we know we're going to a Red Sox game and we might stop in Manchester NH on our way to VT to see the Blue Jays' AA team, but other than that we're just going to play it day by day. Plus i think we're going to stop at the Ben and Jerry's Factory outside Burlington. Preferably, even though we're driving, we'd like to just rely on transit once we're in Boston since driving there is a mess. I should add that we're staying right downtown in the financial district, so everything is accessible.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips of things to see, places to eat, whatever for Boston and the surrounding area. Any help would be welcome and the cheaper the better!

Last edited:
Commonwealth Ave. in Cambridge, near Central Square is jumping on a Friday and Saturday night. There are a couple of really good student bars around there. Allston/Brighton is the hipster hood, but it's a lot less intense and interesting than Queen West West or Oz. The North End is a gem of a neighbourhood and so is Beacon hill, but my favourite Boston neighbourhood architecturally is the South End (not to be confused with 'Southie' - the old Irish working class nabe that's more south and east. i've never been there, but that may be worth checking out too).

A really good bar, but it's out of the way: Doyle's at Washington and Williams in South Boston (near the Green St. T) - amazing atmosphere.

By the way, on your way to Boston, you should definitely check out Troy, NY which is about 10 km north of Albany. One of the most urban and best-preserved small towns in America. It feels like a miniature version of Brooklyn, largely because it has the same population that it did in 1860: about 40,000.

Comm Ave does not run in Cambridge. The name you're looking for would be Massachusetts Ave.

jn: you definitely don't want to be driving around here. The streets could be hard to navigate, with weird alignments, lights, one-ways and no-turns, and the biggest problem is that parking is expensive and often restricted to residents in most neighbourhoods. Transit is convenient enough for most purposes (except for the occasional unexpected breakdowns, and during Sox games), and if you're a transit geek you'd like to ride on the first subway in North America, and get a feeling of what Transit City is going to be like.

As for things to see, it really depends on what you're into. Most of what HD suggested are good. If you're into architecture, Beacon Hill is beautiful; Back Bay and esp. South End are excellent for checking out the rowhouses; Southie and Mission Hill have many beautiful wooden triple-deckers; and Charlestown have a bit of both. Bulfinch Triangle and Leather District, for 19th century office/light industry buildings. North End is Boston's little Italy, and much better than Toronto's IMO. Definitely check out the Italian restaurants and desserts. I am a bigger fan of Mike's Pastry than Modern.

If you are into institutions, the Harvard and MIT campuses across the river in Cambridge are worth a visit (MIT also has some interesting architecture). Museum of Fine Arts has a pretty good collection; Institute of Contemporary Art for, well, comtemporary art (or just to look at the architecture of this building); and the Museum of Natural History at Harvard is excellent if you're into fossils and animal specimens. If you're into history, follow the Freedom Trail through downtown to visit all the colonial and revolutionary buildings and sites. The Charles River Esplanade is good for a jog, biking, sailing, etc, and shows you how a city can utilize the waterfront correctly (despite of the highway that cuts off the Esplanade from the city). If you don't get seasick, take a boat ride to the Islands, or out to the Massachusetts Bay for whalewatching.

Since you have a car, drive around to the many coastal towns in MA, NH and ME (Gloucester, Rockport, Portland, etc) for the chowder, lobsters, seafood and clam shacks. You can get pretty good ones in Boston too, though it could get expensive (eg the local chain Legal Seafoods; Union Oyster House, the oldest operating restaurant in the US, is worth it though). Cape Cod and Provincetown (with a pretty vibrant LGBTQ scene) would be beautiful if you have at least a day to spare.

Avoid doing the Duck Tour; it could be cool to ride the amphibious trucks in the river, but at $30 it's pretty much a rip-off.

Last edited:
EAT AT LEGAL SEAFOOD!!!

They are a Boston staple! There are about 40 of them around town so finding one shouldn't be hard. And the food is delicious. I always treat myself to a clam chowder (best in the world!) and lobster dinner when I'm in Boston :D

Also, if you love 80s TV shows, you can visit Cheers. It's kinda cheesy but it's fun.

If you're a planning nerd (which many of us on UT are), you have to take a drive through the Big Dig.

Be careful driving on the I-90 through New York state - the cops are vigilant and I got a nasty speeding ticket for going 20km/h over (which wouldn't get you a ticket on Ontario's major highways). I saw lots of other people get pulled over as well.

Well I'm a planner, so ya I guess you could say I'm interested in planning related stuff haha

Thanks for the help folks. I realize asking "what should I do?" is a pretty hard question to answer, but Boston seems like one of those places where because of the geography and street pattern, it can be easy to miss things. I'm aware of the driving issues downtown, and luckily we're staying at the Intercontinental on the waterfront, which means we'll get to avoid the web of streets and one ways since Atlantic Ave is right off of the highway.

Oh, and none of us like seafood... so odds are Legal Seafood is out of the question! But thanks for the recommendation.

^ we already have our hotel booked... staying at the Intercontinental. Normally $300+/night, we got it for $130 on Priceline. Pretty sweet deal.

Newburry Street...lots of shopping, almost like St. Catherines street in Montreal. I'm sure you'll walk around Cambridge as well...if not, you should.

Will be going to Boston for the 4th time in August. Great city, enjoy the bars...they're great.

PS: Stay away from those $7 hotdogs by Fenway...they're awful and overpriced....

I visited Boston in May andloved it. I recommend visiting Beacon hill nabe and the Boston garden. The waterfront is not great but the riverfront is a nice walk. If you like Italian food then the little Italy nabe is quite nice with lots of restaurants. If you have some time drive up to cape cod for whale watching. It is spectacular!

well the plan right now is to drive there on the 14th and spend 4 nights in Boston (so really, 3 full days). We figure the 3rd day is either a day where we do whatever we have left to see (assuming we didn't see everything in the 2 days) or else we go to a place like Cape Cod. I think we can see everything in 2 days only because my understanding of Boston is that it's not the type of place where there's a lot of attractions that you go to and spend a lot of time in. They don't have a Tower of London. It seems like it's one of those places you experience via the architecture and history rather than via a bunch of museums, which considering it'll be mid-July, who wants to be inside the entire time?

Beacon Hill and Little Italy are on the list. Considering all the walking we'll be doing, the idea of some hearty Italian food one evening sounds good. My girlfriend is already aware of Newbury, though I doubt she'll be able to afford anything. A quick glance says there's an Armani store on the street, which means we're a bit out of our element.

You are definitely correct that Boston is best experienced through walking around and taking in the archi and history. Every neighbourhood has its own style, every corner has another architectural gem. If you're at all interested in 19th century architecture/urbanity, I'd strongly recommend passing by South End.

Newbury is not all just expensive fashion. As you go from east to west, the price progressively drops and the style becomes more hip/stylish.

Newbury is not all just expensive fashion. As you go from east to west, the price progressively drops and the style becomes more hip/stylish.

Yup, it's also just a nice walk.

The street over(can't remember the name) has some of the most beautiful houses too. The architecture's wonderful.

Back