1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

A tour of Holland

R

ronald1987

Here are some more pictures of dutch cities, as I promised.
Over the last 3 months I visited quite a few dutch cities, all because of university-related field work.
I took pictures in all of these cities.
Anyway, here's a small map so that you know where the cities you're looking at are located.
I recommand pressing F11, because these pics are very large.
Enjoy!

30430df7.gif

KAMPEN
A small city in the north/ east of holland.
It's not the most famous city in the region (that's Zwolle, the province capital), nor is it an internationally attractive city, since there are hardly any tourists there during the summer. Despite this, I thought many of you would still be interessted in seeing some pictures of this city. It's a dutch small town, with a very historic center. It used to be a major trading hub a few centuries ago, when holland was intensively trading with countries around the Baltic sea.

And here are some pics I took from inside the train, while on my way back home to Rotterdam from Utrecht.

‘S HERTOGENBOSCH
The capital city of one of Holland's soutern provinces, "Brabant".
It's quite an old city.
It's got a lot of old streets and buildings.
Right next to downtown, however, a modern residential zone was developped the last 5 years. It forms quite a contrast from downtown.
But we’ll start with some pictures of the old city centre.

A modern mini-mall in downtown:

Back to the older city centre:

At the otherside of the railway station, there is a modern residential area (called "Palace Quarter"). It has one of the most modern residential designs in Holland. The grey sail-like condo's are called "Armada's" and were designed by a Scottish architect. The main building in this residential area is the courthouse.

Inside the Courthouse:

This is quite an unusual housing set-up in Holland. I haven't seen this anywhere else before. They say it's more common in England, though.
It's a gap between the front door and the street. Basically, you can also live at -1 level.

These are the "Armada's", the sail-like looking condo's. Just one appartment there costs about one million euros.

Back in the old city centre:

The Saint John's Basilic (13th century, I thought, but I'm not sure about that).

City Hall:

From inside City Hall:

UTRECHT
This is downtown Utrecht, a city in the middle of the Netherlands. It's the country's 4th city.
It's also one of Holland’s oldest cities (Haarlem and Leiden are also very old, but I haven’t visited those cities, nor do I have pictures of them).
I study in Utrecht so I am there quite often. Nightlife is excellent in the centre of Utrecht!

imag00172rv.jpg

imag00188hp.jpg

imag00204ch.jpg

imag00213ef.jpg

imag00228wr.jpg

imag00240rz.jpg

imag00270ua.jpg

imag00282mh.jpg

imag00293jy.jpg

DORDRECHT
A town of about 120,000 inhabitants, south of Rotterdam.
Dordrecht also is a very old town.

imag00313eg.jpg

imag00324qs.jpg

imag00343ar.jpg

imag00369jz.jpg

imag00377rp.jpg

imag00388lu.jpg

imag00397hg.jpg

imag00408nv.jpg

imag00425ut.jpg

imag00435za.jpg

and this is a renovated square in the city center, where they had a market when I was there.
imag00410wh.jpg

This is quite an unusual housing set-up in Holland. I haven't seen this anywhere else before. They say it's more common in England, though. It's a gap between the front door and the street. Basically, you can also live at -1 level.
It's a very popular set-up in London. Although, you run the risk of getting urinated on if you happen to be sitting down there around 11:05pm (but maybe that's an English thing).

Great pics again!

Pedestrian-friendly streets in a shopping district, where people move around on foot and by bicycle without having to dodge cars ... what an idea!!

Thank you for these pictures.

Hey Ronald, nice pics! You make we want to visit your beautiful country!!!

Seconded.

Though I'm ashamed to say that as I look through these pics, I hear in my head Goldmember from the third Austin Powers moving saying "I'm from Holland, isn't that just v(w)eird?"

Back