News   Apr 24, 2024
 359     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 411     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 767     1 

A couple questions for Planners about the Planning job market.

jn_12

Member Bio
Reaction score
So I finished my Masters in Planning at York back in May and I was wondering if I could get some thoughts from those of you that are planners here. I haven't been able to find a job yet. I've been sending out resumes to municipal postings in the GTA, as well as to the various private firms in the GTA. I've sent out 50 or so in 4 months. Now, I know it's not an issue with my resume (not to be naive or anything, I just have a resume that has never had trouble getting me some very good positions before) and I know that one entry-level position with a smaller town in the GTA had over 150 applicants, which makes me think this level of competition is pretty common right now considering very few entry-level planning positions have been posted the summer.

To be honest, I'm a bit more interested in private firms, simply because I like the creative aspect, plus I'm a pretty competitive person (so bidding on projects and whatnot would be right up my alley), but I have considerable public sector experience so it wouldn't bother me to work in that environment either.

So I'm wondering a few things:
In your mind, what is the planning job market like right now?
Is Summer usually this slow for government hiring? are municipalities waiting until after the election?
If you work for a private firm, is the economy still having an impact on hiring?
If you work for a private firm, how did you get the position? I notice that few of them actually post open positions, so it's difficult to ascertain who is hiring and who isn't.
And really, any other relevant info would be welcome.

If you don't feel you can talk about it in a public forum for whatever reason, please feel free to send me a private message. Any help/insight is definitely appreciated. Thanks

Network, Network and Network.

I am in the same position and have started to focus more on networking with people in the industry to find work. Every single person I have spoken to so far has found their job through networking. I've picked up some great contacts in the industry and have been using them to seek out hidden jobs and to force my resume directly to staff without having to go through most company application processes.

Sign up for LinkedIn and start searching for people in companies that are of interest to you. Simply message them saying you want to get more information on what they do and how they got there. Some will prefer doing this through email, some over the phone, and some in person. Use this as an opportunity to sell yourself without being so forward about it. When its all done, simply ask if they know anyone you should speak to that may be interested in someone like you. Some will bring up the fact that they are hiring, some will point out people they know who are hiring, and some might not have anything for you... but what exactly do you have to lose?

Done and done. I know all about the how and why of networking. I'm just trying to get a sense of the job market right now. Though you make a point about networking being an important part of it, especially in the private sector.

The job market is a mixed bag right now. Many firms, mine included, are extremely busy but that doesn't mean that we are actively recruiting. There are concerns about a double-dip and our proposals heading overseas are increasingly getting undercut by EU firms that were previously 20-30% above our bids. Regardless of the status of the economy, there is always turnover at firms so do not be discouraged. I would recommend joining ULI's Toronto Branch, get involved with OPPI, and setup information interviews.

As for public vs private, I would say that the majority of iinteresting and creative work gets outsourced to private firms.

Good luck.

I agree with southofbloor. My firm is picking up a bit after a slowish summer, but I do not expect any hiring to increase the number of planners. There will be hirings to replace someone who may leave the firm for whatever reason. After the last 2+ years here and seeing the amount of work change it is impossible to determine how the market will swing. From talking to friends at other firms and various consultants I work with (engineers, architects, etc.), a lot of places are being very cautious now. If the amount of work picks up they may be hesitant in hiring as it may slow down a few months later. It is better to keep the employees you have really busy instead of going through the process (and costs) of looking for someone else and train them (depending on the amount of experience they have).

I started off at my firm as a summer student before my last year at school. It was one of many postings on the job board at the school in which I applied for. Once I finished I gave them a call and they brought me back because I was already familiar with the place and didn't cost them more than a lunch to get me up and running on my own files. A lot of other people in my class got jobs through the postings at school also. Some did some networking while others are still looking for a permanent position. As with any field, you just have to take whatever you can get to get in the door. Most places look for people with some experience. The majority of the job postings I've seen through various avenues are for people with at least 5 years experience.

The best thing you can do with your résumé/cover letter is highlight your specific area of interest and target your job search to firms that do that kind of work. A firm may get a dozen résumés every week for “planners” who are willing to do any sort of planning. When an entry level position comes up most firms will look for someone with the specific skill set or interest in the area required for the job. They don’t look at the résumés of applicants who just want to be generic planners.

If you have real GIS skills (more than just one course at University), AutoCAD skills, 3D visualization skills, are interested in doing Environmental Assessments, you want to specialize in Public Consultation, or want to do OMB work, as examples, then put that very clearly in your résumé/cover letter. Those are the types of things that stand out. Any experience you can get in your area of interest, such as taking additional course or volunteering etc. will help. Just be sure that you pick an area of interest that you think you can do for a long time. Unfortunately people often get pigeonholed as the expert in one area so you’re likely to be doing the same type of job for some time.

One other way to meet planners is to get out to all the planning related public meeting or open houses you can and introduce yourself to the planners. This may help you identify firms or planners you specifically want to work for so you can target your job search even more specifically.

Back