News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.2K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

940 Queen Street West (?, 2s, ?)

rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
Another small infill/rebuild in the West End that replaces a one storey retail structure. I have to say that I like the trend of very large windows in newer buildings. Photos taken 24 April 2016.

Last edited:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,076
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,000
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 953
It's now in a race with the eternal construction site at Bloor & Ossington (though the latter may actually win, since it miraculously has cladding now).

Hmm. Not a lot of progress in the last six months. This is the kind of thing that makes me wish that the repossession fairy would fly by, wave its magic wand, and transfer this building to someone who can finish it. I mean, who's the contractor on this, Bondfield?

Most of these new builds on Queen have failed to find tenants ; Did they already have one lined up ? If not maybe they're taking their time ?

Vacancy on Queen W is the worst I've seen in years (many articles on the subject as of late mind you)

On a side note, it appears that the building where MOCCA used to be located is installing new ground level windows. I'm guessing that condo proposal may not be progressing immediately.

It is not. Property (previously owned by Urbancorp) was sold to Hullmark who have chosen to revamp the existing building rather than construct something new.

As frustrating as these examples of slow construction are I have learned to be more sympathetic to the situation as a product of my own experience and naivety.

Code and compliance issues, as well as rising land values are conspiring to make it more difficult to hold and operate small buildings for both landlords and tenants.

Like I got a quote from the city recently to install a new water line required to satisfy permit issues with a small commercial space. Their initial estimate is $66,000 (with an open time window of 1-4 months to complete). That is for one pipe to satisfy one code issue up to the property line!

Back