Toronto 931 Yonge | 106m | 33s | CreateTO | Zeidler

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
This site is one of 8 listed in the initial ModernTO report by the City of Toronto that is looking to consolidate the City's office leases into fewer, more modern buildings, while at the same time maximizing the land use on particular sites that they own, to include "such [uses] as affordable housing, employment uses, and community infrastructure."

931Yonge.jpg

This site is one of 8 listed in the initial ModernTO report by the City of Toronto that is looking to consolidate the City's office leases into fewer, more modern buildings, while at the same time maximizing the land use on particular sites that they own, to include "such [uses] as affordable housing, employment uses, and community infrastructure."

View attachment 204680

This site offers a view of park (north), Rosdale Valley (east); the very nice heritage bits of Belmont to the west (on higher floors anyways), and potentially, immediate site-access to Rosedale Stn.

This has high-end residential written all over it.

The site plan should include land-assembly with the low-rise residential to the south to make it much more attractive; and then you package it so that a new entrance to Rosedale Stn from the south is financed by the section 37 on the site.

This site offers a view of park (north), Rosdale Valley (east); the very nice heritage bits of Belmont to the west (on higher floors anyways), and potentially, immediate site-access to Rosedale Stn.

The site plan should include land-assembly with the low-rise residential to the south to make it much more attractive; and then you package it so that a new entrance to Rosedale Stn from the south is financed by the section 37 on the site.
The low-rise residential to the south is a condo townhome complex. Only one condo complex in the city has ever sold for redevelopment. It could happen again… but if this is strictly the City partnering to redevelop with that combo of affordable residential and office, then I would not expect a development to swallow up the townhomes to the south.

I'm glad this is happening but it's a tad ironic that the city continues to develop its lands (Regent Park, Alexandra Park) in a manner that underutilizes their potential for density. We're in the midst of an affordability crisis that is in large part a product of inadequate supply and they're still building townhouses on land a kilometer from city center!

Last edited:

From TCH's head office to high-end residential...wrapping my head around the optics on that if that would happen.

From TCH's head office to high-end residential...wrapping my head around the optics on that if that would happen.

There is that, and I can't imagine they can build particularly tall here. I'd rather see them sell this building and have it remain as office use instead of yet another condo that could go anywhere.

The block at Rosedale Station may make for a more attractive development site (though I am sure NIMBYism would be quite severe)

AoD

There is that, and I can't imagine they can build particularly tall here. I'd rather see them sell this building and have it remain as office use instead of yet another condo that could go anywhere.

The block at Rosedale Station may make for a more attractive development site (though I am sure NIMBYism would be quite severe)

AoD

If you mean the green space by the bus loop, that was proposed years ago, a 9-storey building over the green space and the bus loop, if I recall correctly.

The opposition was fierce and the proposal was withdrawn.

While it could be a coincidence; I rather suspect an announcement about this property is forthcoming this afternoon; and more than likely, affordable housing.

Steve Clark, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing, will be joined by John Tory, Mayor of the City of Toronto, to make an announcement.

Date:
Monday, September 23, 2019

Time:
1:00 p.m.

Coincidence it was....................

This was an announcement that public housing providers can now turn away prospective clients/tenants who have been previously evicted for serious crimes.

Ontario is protecting people who live in community housing, especially vulnerable seniors and children, by allowing housing providers to turn away tenants who have been evicted from community housing for serious crimes.

"Our government is sending a clear message that dangerous criminal activity is not welcome in community housing," said Steve Clark, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing. "People shouldn't have to worry about their children's safety when they're playing right outside their front door."

While community housing providers can evict tenants for serious crimes like drug trafficking, harming individuals or damaging property, some simply re-apply to live in the same building. Starting today, housing providers have the discretion to turn away prospective tenants who have been evicted from community housing for these illegal activities and who pose a threat to the community.

"I want to thank the provincial government for moving forward on this important change in legislation requested by the City of Toronto," said John Tory, Mayor of the City of Toronto. "Through this new change, we are putting the safety of the vast majority of tenants in community housing first and sending a strong message to criminals who choose to threaten families and seniors in their homes."

Actually don't have a problem per se with this (i.e. residents of social housing should have the right to expect to be relatively free from criminal behaviour in their buildings) - though it will have unintended consequences.

AoD

I'm glad this is happening but it's a tad ironic that the city continues to develop its lands (Regent Park, Alexandra Park) in a manner that underutilizes their potential for density. We're in the midst of an affordability crisis that is in large part a product of inadequate supply and they're still building townhouses on land a kilometer from city center!
City Planning department likely is the hardest on their own development arm (CreateTO).

So what is next for this building, then?

The visible work area in this photo is this:

1619443920009.png

Beyond that, I don't know that TCHC has an exit date yet

The modernized spaces need to come online first.....

The schedule for some of that is here:

1619444615525.png

That's from here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2020/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-158139.pdf

So far as I know, November 2020 is the last update to Executive on the program.

Edit to add; I can see no indication that this property is in the hands of CreateTO yet, as such its unlikely any repurposing has been given serious thought.

Last edited:

Back