Toronto 849 Eglinton East | 129.02m | 40s | Pemberton | BDP Quadrangle

AHK

Member Bio
Reaction score
Thursday, December 31, 2020 - Ground sampling rig operating at the south-west corner of the Mercedes-Benz Midtown dealership lot.

Mods - could not find an existing thread for this site - if there is one, could you please merge / transfer this post to the existing thread.

Side note: Good reason for ground sampling here - this is directly north, right across the street from the very large, but longstanding and currently inactive, hole in the ground between Wickstead and Vanderhoof Avenues. When asking about this site while at a business on Laird yesterday, was told that excavation at the site had been started up and then abandoned at least a couple of times. Two problems found - the ground was contaminated, and there were unexpectedly severe ground water problems, believed to have originated from a creek that used to run through the area. So the owners of the Mercedes-Benz property are being prudent with the ground sampling

Based on this post from @innsertnamehere '

There is a mercedes dealer between the two that has no plans to redevelop, but good job otherwise.

From this thread: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...s-riocan-quadrangle.26010/page-3#post-1294282

Along w/also coming up blank on any proposals; I'm inclined to think you got here first!

The long-standing hole you refer to was destined to be a Walmart originally.

It is currently contemplated to be a Canadian Tire, with parking at grade and the store over top.

Who knows, mercedes may have changed their minds in 2 years. Maybe not. I know back then they had no plans to do anything here.

the hole in the ground to the south is indeed supposed to be a new Canadian Tire, to move it from its existing location and allow Riocan to redevelop that site.

Seeing the adjacent properties fronting Eglinton East, be in the process of urbanization or lined up for it, may have shown the Mercedes dealership lands to be too lucrative to not be developed. I'd say bring on the Lairdland intensification.

Last edited:
Seeing the adjacent properties fronting Eglinton East, be in the process of urbanization or lined up for it, may have shown the Mercedes dealership lands to be too lucrative to not be developed. I'd say bring on the Lairdland intensification.

This isn’t any dealership - like all Mercedes-Benz dealership in Toronto and most in GTA, it’s a corporately-owned Mercedes dealership and it had some renovations about 8 years ago. Also, the Mercedes-Benz Canada Head Office building in the rear is about 15 years old. Sure money talks, but it’ll have to be quite a large amount for Mercedes-Benz Canada to abandon this location and the tough part is they’ll have to find another high visibility prime location likely nearby with more land.

Agreed. They put in a lot of investment into this property over the years, this isn't just some 60 year old dealership out in the surburbs...the property is rather well developed compared to the average dealership.

Since Mercedes-Benz Canada is not likely to leave this site,.... what are the chances 5-10 years from now, Mercedes-Benz Canada redevelop this site themselves - Mercedes-Benz/AMG/Smart corporately owned dealership at base with Mercedes-Benz Head Offices above along with luxury condos,.... something like "Mercedes House" in Manhattan

MercedesHouse.PNG

MercedesHouse1.jpg

Interesting flyover video here:

Who knows, mercedes may have changed their minds in 2 years. Maybe not. I know back then they had no plans to do anything here.

the hole in the ground to the south is indeed supposed to be a new Canadian Tire, to move it from its existing location and allow Riocan to redevelop that site.

Correct about CT. Should be done and open sometime in 2024.

The Mercedes Benz dealership flat-out ignored any requests to be involved with the Secondary Plan stakeholder consultations as recently as a few years ago from what I have been told.

I get the impression that they are existing within their own bubble. Though surely they must see what is going on at adjacent properties.

From what I understood, Mercedes was investigating selling the site to Rio-can and becoming integrated into the development. They were also looking at out right selling the site if they could find a suitable location for a new high profile dealership and the office component would move to a new office location. That is old info, but was part of an ongoing conversation.

Considering the precedents being set on that block from neighbouring developments, I'm guessing they'll aim for something in the ballpark of 2 x 30+ storey towers.

Back