News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 598     0 

800 Danforth Av (e of Woodycrest, ?, 5s, ?) WITHDRAWN

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is just west of Jones. Development on Danforth is long overdue. Hopefully we'll see more of this.

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M4J 1L6

Ward 29: Toronto-Danforth

Application#: 13 125022 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Feb 26, 2013

Project: Multiple-Use Building New Building

Description: Proposal to demolish existing 2 storey mixed use building and to construct a new 5 storey mixed use building with commercial on the ground and basement levels, 2 residential units on the 2nd floor, 2 residential units on the 3rd floor and a 2 storey residential unit on the 4th and 5th floors.

Capture800.JPG

Last edited:
This is just east of Jones. Development on Danforth is long overdue. Hopefully we'll see more of this.

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M4J 1L6

Ward 29: Toronto-Danforth

Application#: 13 125022 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Feb 26, 2013

Project: Multiple-Use Building New Building

Description: Proposal to demolish existing 2 storey mixed use building and to construct a new 5 storey mixed use building with commercial on the ground and basement levels, 2 residential units on the 2nd floor, 2 residential units on the 3rd floor and a 2 storey residential unit on the 4th and 5th floors.

the proposal sounds like alot for such a small lot ...
we're talking about the Mr. Pide building next to Magic Oven, not the corner lot where Pizza Pizza is.

what's the total square footage proposed and the size of the lot ?!?

Gotta agree I was hoping it was the pizza pizza as well, bu as long as it isn't that corner building I won't complain too much.

Gotta agree I was hoping it was the pizza pizza as well, bu as long as it isn't that corner building I won't complain too much.

I don't mind if the uninteresting one-story buildings along the Danforth get redeveloped, but it would be a shame if the two-storey and three-storey buildings go as well. The character of the street would be lost. I am under the impression that redevelopment may be inevitable since the subway line in underneath, but I hope I'm wrong about that.

Commercial on the ground and basement? That's got to be a new frontier for this stretch.

And guess I'll also throw my hat into the ring of "Damn why couldn't it have been the pizzapizza instead".

Commercial on the ground and basement? That's got to be a new frontier for this stretch.

That caught my eye too. It would make for a great speakeasy bar (lol!). Buildings along the Danforth have basements that are usually used for storage. Looks like this development will not have any parking for the 6 residences, certainly not underground parking anyway. I'm amazed on what's being proposed on such a small and narrow site. I would not lose sleep if this proposal was rejected and the city encourage densification at corner blocks (like the Pizza Pizza site) rather than mid-block.

When tastefully done, boutique mid-block projects can also enhance its surroundings and provide interesting bits of incremental intensification. I've seen plenty of neat buildings squeezed in on narrow sites last summer in NY. There's various sites around the city where I'd like to see this happen (ie. Dollarama on Bloor near Bathurst).

Last edited:
I was trying to visualize this proposal. I found several examples of mid-rise buildings in New York on streets that look very similar to the Danforth. I hope they spend a little extra money for a well desinged building. I'm looking forward to the renders.

I last was on the Danforth in September. It's a great street with lots of potential. There were several vacant storefronts and low-end retail at parts so hopefully new people moving to the area will add more vibrancy to the area.

Last edited:
I would like to see 8 storey buildings along Danforth. There should be no buildings less than 6 storeys. I just think 6 to 8 storeys is the perfect height for retail/residential buildings along major streets. (especially in the suburbs) If the Danforth was lined with 8 storey buildings it would be quite a lively transformation. Right now, the Danforth's buildings are pretty ugly and small-townish, so I think it's ripe for redevelopment. Let's face it, the retail there is pretty bad, for such a main street.

Last edited:
I would like to see 8 storey buildings along Danforth. There should be no buildings less than 6 storeys. I just think 6 to 8 storeys is the perfect height for retail/residential buildings along major streets. (especially in the suburbs)

I would like to see Toronto's Offical Plan implanted, as it calls for exactly that. It would be better if the suburban and 1-stores buildings along Toronto's Avenues gets redeveloped first before widescale redevelopment of a street like Danforth or Queen. I personally found Danforth to be very urban, walkable and charming. There was lots of holes along the street that are ripe for infill development.

I also like how ownership of the lots are fragmented so we're likely to see variety as tall and narrow buildings (like this proposal) rather than a 8-storey condo podium-type structure taking up the entire block.

I'm not very familiar with the eastern section but I quite like the Danforth between around Chester and Pape. I was hanging out in Greektown this summer, the area has quite a vibrant restaurant scene.

Would like to see more progress on the south side of the street, given that shadowing won't be as much of an issue (and in summer positively welcome). Positioned between two closely spaced subway stations, both of which have north and south bus routes, that area could take a bit more density.

Back