Vaughan 7800 Jane | 192.93m | 60s | Aspen Ridge | BDP Quadrangle

urbanyimby

Member Bio
Reaction score
1585013662572.png

1585013613775.png

With all these new condo skyscrapers going up. Can someone give me an answer on if these condo flats share the same ventilation system etc. Because it could be kind of dangerous for viruses to travel through if they're airborne ! Just a thought !

Kinda glad to see more variety in developers at VMC, might mean we get to see more development in the short term (as opposed to one developer building long-term via phases).

Kinda glad to see more variety in developers at VMC, might mean we get to see more development in the short term (as opposed to one developer building long-term via phases).

Not that the "one developer" here has been moving all that slowly.. most of the stuff actually built so far is by SmartCentres.

VMC isn't going to be another Downtown Markham with its glacial single developer pace.

This development, ostensibly under Metrus, I assume will end up being Metrus for the office tower and Aspen Ridge for the residential buildings.

Not that the "one developer" here has been moving all that slowly.. most of the stuff actually built so far is by SmartCentres.

VMC isn't going to be another Downtown Markham with its glacial single developer pace.
Yeah, not at all. SmartCentres has been killing it, and judging from their 2019 Q4 investor report, they have closed several projects and have lots of liquidity to continue their pace for the next little while.

But for the construction enthusiasts like those of us on this website, it is risky to put your faith on one developer to build out a mega-centre like VMC (and you point out Downtown Markham as a great case example). SmartCentres will have their own leverage targets and if they are met, they will slow down. SmartCentres also has a large portfolio that they'll want to begin building out sooner rather than later including large sites outside of VMC (eg. Oakville North, Eglinton Golden Mile, Westside Mall, Pickering GO) which will move equity away from development at VMC.

Meanwhile, the pace of construction taking place around Square One in Mississauga is a great example of what a variety of developer firms all interested in developing a centre could look like.

I don't like the podiums but like everything else. It's Aspen Ridge so I'm not sure if we're going to get the good stuff as far as materials.

Public realm on the site looks good too.

I think the office will be executed well. Reminds me of the office building built at 1133 Yonge Street near Summerhill.

Too bad that, in reality, the urban realm is not as idyllic as the render suggests (obvio.usly, it's a rendering). The artists omitted the BRT and bicycle lanes on Highway 7, plus some turning lanes. At least residents and workers don't have to cross Highway 7 to get to the subway, as it's twice the width than the render suggests, making it more hostile to pedestrians.

I never thought these words would ever come out of my mouth but; im jealous of Vaughan. Bring these to Toronto, Aspen Ridge!
Nah. The towers seem nice, but I'd prefer not to have an entire city block (that's oversized to begin with) be occupied by one giant, monotonous podium.

Back