Toronto 7 Laxton | 18.72m | 6s | Hasan Farooq | High Park Architects

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Some missing middle type housing in the Parkdale area, one block south of Queen and just west of Jameson.

7 LAXTON AVE
Ward 4: Parkdale-High Park

Proposal for a 4-storey apartment building containing 14 residential dwelling units. The proposed residential gross floor area is 1000.40 square metres.

Currently on site is this house:

1602701678708.png

So they want to destroy a beautiful 3 floor house to build a 4 floor piece of garbage?

It’s not high architecture, but I’m not sure everything can be. It is missing-middle housing in a city that makes that form particularly hard - so I’m grateful for that.

Architect is High Park Architects:

View attachment 279315

This a great example of why 'missing middle' gets opposed on side streets.

It's a great idea in principle; it's also next to a multi-res building and can make a great case for transition.

But then on execution you get something reminiscent of prison architecture; except not quite that nice.

The proponents and their architects should face a 10-year ban on development and work in their respect fields on the grounds they're ruining it for everyone else!

So they want to destroy a beautiful 3 floor house to build a 4 floor piece of garbage?
This a great example of why 'missing middle' gets opposed on side streets.

It's a great idea in principle; it's also next to a multi-res building and can make a great case for transition.

But then on execution you get something reminiscent of prison architecture; except not quite that nice.

The proponents and their architects should face a 10-year ban on development and work in their respect fields on the grounds they're ruining it for everyone else!
I'm unconcerned. We're losing a ctrl-c, ctrl-v house for an admittedly-aesthetically-challenged apartment. I'm here for the 14 units though.

Look at the vast majority of small apartments in Japan. It's pretty much all exactly this and it works fine. I'd lose the stupid front setback, but our City seems to think useless swathes of patchy grass is necessary...

This is all kinds of cheap and ugly, isn't it. It's amazing someone with an architectural degree even designed it.

I also don't understand this. There seems to be an obsession in this city of changing the colour/finish partway up the building, you see it everywhere.

I will say though, wood casement windows on a building like this. Interesting. I really didn't think anyone did wood windows anymore except in cases of historical accuracy for heritage buildings.

Good to see more density of course, but basically a couple more floors plopped on top of this pile:

7 LAXTON AVE
Ward 4: Parkdale-High Park

Proposed 6 storey residential building containing 19 dwelling units

View attachment 491424

Ah you found it! I was leaving it for you, LOL

Architectural offenses aside, I have to vote no on this one, for proposing one elevator.

When (not if) that elevator requires maintenance you asking the people on the 7th floor to walk up, with groceries or anything else, for days, weeks, or longer.

Back