2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 658     0 

660 Richmond Street W

bilked

Member Bio
Reaction score
Sad news.

From what I've heard, this building (the Rehearsal Factory) is sold and all the musicians are now being evicted from their studios.

Its a major loss, as Rehearsal Factory's Front Street East location has also been recently lost. In that case, at least, the land will be utilized in a major housing development (33 Sherbourne). Here any trade-off will be, no doubt, much poorer.

It's not to say that there aren't other areas of the City that can accommodate this type of studio space (RF still has their Geary location). But it's hard to imagine it returning downtown.

Possibly not for long; there was a story on BlogTO recently that the Geary space might get sold to some homophobic, scammy "church".

Crazy and just sad. Here’s the article:

I suppose one can only hope the rapture comes before these guys move in.

EDIT - Exclaim says the deal hasn’t actually gone through yet (as of May 10th):

If you’d like an idea about what C3 stands for the last paragraph of the article sums it up.

If anyone has an information as to the status of this, I’d be very much interested.

Let’s keep homophobia out of our artists’ studios and away from Geary street!

Last edited:
Crazy and just sad. Here’s the article:

I suppose one can only hope the rapture comes before these guys move in.

EDIT - Exclaim says the deal hasn’t actually gone through yet (as of May 10th):

If you’d like an idea about what C3 stands for the last paragraph of the article sums it up.

If anyone has an information as to the status of this, I’d be very much interested.

Let’s keep homophobia out of our artists’ studios and away from Geary street!
Citation on the homophobia?

CBC at least says there's many millennials joining. Something tells me that group would not be joining if the church was so.

Bilked cites the last paragraph, in the linked article:

Which I am re-linking here:

1621624324756.png

The above statement is certainly discriminatory against the gay community. We could reasonably debate whether that is sufficient to use the phrase 'homophobia'; but it's certainly some form of bigotry as it were.

Now, it should also be said, last i recall, the 'article of faith' above or something similar is official Catholic doctrine and probably in most Baptist churches I imagine.

As someone who isn't religious in the least, I keep only the most peripheral tab on these things.

What I can say with certainty is that losing the Rehearsal Factory spaces is a negative for Toronto's arts/music community, irrespective of the subsequent owner.

Beyond that, as an agnostic heretic.......... I can't say I see value in converting the space for organized religion of any kind, but to each their own.

Last edited:

CBC at least says there's many millennials joining. Something tells me that group would not be joining if the church was so.

Millennials joining isn't really a relevant point and is an unfounded leap of logic — millennials are not a unified block. Unfortunately there are plenty of millennials who join reactionary movements. Any generation has a breadth of ideological viewpoints within it, even if they have broad demographic tendencies in certain directions.

John Tory says he wants Toronto to be a music city but there's nowhere to practice, nowhere to play, and it's too expensive to live. What's his plan? Oh yeah, doesn't have one like for everything. Mayor of low taxes and running out the clock.

There's no place for artists in Toronto anymore.

Millennials joining isn't really a relevant point and is an unfounded leap of logic — millennials are not a unified block. Unfortunately there are plenty of millennials who join reactionary movements. Any generation has a breadth of ideological viewpoints within it, even if they have broad demographic tendencies in certain directions.
There are plenty of millennials (and even Gen Z) who hold reactionary views.

Hence the popularity of alt-tech:

GamerGate is proof reactionary millennials exist:

Me, I'm progressive like most millennials.

It’s the last two of the C3 Twelve Commandments:

Disclaimer: My dad was a minister in an evangelical church with very much the same modus operandi as C3 – nontraditional venue space, jeans and t-shirts, rock music, fancy audio-visual equipment, etc.

And so I can speak from personal experience that for all C3’s millennial hashtags and tattoos, it's just another rebranding (not rethinking) of traditional evangelical dogma.

If you think sex is the exclusive domain of a married man and woman, C3 is the place for you. If you don’t, then it probably isn’t. If you oppose a woman’s right to choose, C3 is the place for you. If you support female reproductive rights, then it probably isn’t.

The one credit that I’ll give to these churches that obsess about trying to be as cool and relevant as possible – it makes it much easier to grow up in a church like that while having a regular social life outside of the church (as opposed to the more insular Pentecostal churches of my earlier childhood). And so it makes it much easier to get the heck out of there!

But that’s just me.

Except it's not just me. The vast majority of the musicians who use Geary’s RF studios would oppose C3’s anti-gay and anti-sex belief system.

Not sure what the status of the deal is, but if you want to let the principals of Rehearsal Factory know your views as to whether they should sell the Geary space to C3, you can email them at: chris@rehearsalfactory.com and evon@rehearsalfactory.com.

It’s the last two of the C3 Twelve Commandments:

Disclaimer: My dad was a minister in an evangelical church with very much the same modus operandi as C3 – nontraditional venue space, jeans and t-shirts, rock music, fancy audio-visual equipment, etc.

And so I can speak from personal experience that for all C3’s millennial hashtags and tattoos, its just another rebranding (not rethinking) of traditional evangelical dogma.

If you think sex is the exclusive domain of a married man and woman, C3 is the place for you. If you don’t, then it probably isn’t. If you oppose a woman’s right to choose, C3 is the place for you. If support female reproductive rights, then it probably isn’t.

The one credit that I’ll give to these churches that obsess about trying to be as cool and relevant as possible – it makes it much easier to grow up in a church like that while having a regular social life outside of the church (as opposed to the more insular Pentecostal churches of my earlier childhood). And so it makes it much easier to get the heck out of there!

But that’s just me.

Except its not just me. The vast majority of the musicians who use Geary’s RF studios would oppose C3’s anti-gay and anti-sex belief system.

Not sure what the status of the deal is, but if you want to let the principals of Rehearsal Factory know your views as to whether they should sell the Geary space to C3, you can email them at: chris@rehearsalfactory.com and evon@rehearsalfactory.com.
C3 is one of those moral substitutes:

C3 recognizes what millennials love and puts in very reactionary values. Christian rock would no doubt be played.

C3 recognizes what millennials love and puts in very reactionary values. Christian rock would no doubt be played.

That’s my favourite Hank Hill quote.

One of the indoctrination tactics of those with regressive motivations is to use progressive factors and/or flavours to come across as cool, hip and well, progressive...when their core values are explicitly not. So in the end, this becomes another gratuitous exercise in doublespeak. /sigh

Back