Toronto 645 Yonge | 280m | 76s | KingSett Capital | AS + GG

DonValleyRainbow

Member Bio
Reaction score
So most of you likely heard about House of Lords imminent shutdown this October. Jonathan Goldsbie tweeted about this, and a random individual replied to him stating "Kingsett Capital bought Panasonic Theatre and the rest of the block."

Goldsbie confirmed that Panasonic was purchased for $15 million in Q4 2015 via this document, but I don't have anything to confirm if the 'rest of the block' was purchased, or what 'the rest of the block' is.

Nonetheless, I would guess that we will be seeing another condo proposal sometime soon.

So most of you likely heard about House of Lords imminent shutdown this October. Jonathan Goldsbie tweeted about this, and a random individual replied to him stating "Kingsett Capital bought Panasonic Theatre and the rest of the block."

Goldsbie confirmed that Panasonic was purchased for $15 million in Q4 2015 via this document, but I don't have anything to confirm if the 'rest of the block' was purchased, or what 'the rest of the block' is.

Nonetheless, I would guess that we will be seeing another condo proposal sometime soon.

Kingsett owns most of this stretch of Yonge, so I wouldn't be surprised if they sat on it for a few years while they focussed on other nearby sites.

http://www.newswire.ca/news-release...-of-torontos-flagship-theatres-661275283.html

New partnership between CAA and Mirvish Productions to include renaming of one of Toronto's flagship theatres

The multi-faceted partnership puts the CAA brand and its members front and centre within the Mirvish Theatre network. It includes the naming rights of the new CAA Theatre (formerly the Panasonic Theatre), home of the Off-Mirvish series; branded lounges at the historic Royal Alexandra Theatre and the Princess of Wales Theatre; and benefits for CAA members.

"This partnership weaves CAA into the cultural fabric of Canada's largest city and gives its members access to some of the best live theatre in the country," said David Mirvish. "Welcoming CAA members into the Mirvish family will nurture new audiences and grow the base of theatregoers, further strengthening the performing arts industry in Canada."

Through the partnership, Mirvish Productions will share Canadian theatre with over 56 million CAA and AAA members across North America and CAA will continue to showcase the many benefits of membership beyond roadside assistance.

"We are constantly investing in our members, and they are looking for the types of experiences that make their days better," said Rhonda English, chief marketing officer, CAA SCO. "Canadian theatre inspires audiences and creates lasting memories, and this partnership allows us to bring that value to our members in new and affordable ways."

The newly named CAA Theatre is located at 651 Yonge Street south of Bloor Street and has a capacity of 700 seats. This is the flagship venue for exciting new theatrical works, from popular entertainment to the latest cutting-edge plays including the Off-Mirvish series.

I thought the Panasonic Theatre was a silly name, but the "CAA Theatre" definitely takes the crown. I'm sure some members off the CAA will walk in expecting to receive full services here.

Looking forward to seeing shows about cars! Especially ones getting towed 5 miles for free!

IMG_3117.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3117.jpg
    IMG_3117.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 1,124
I think the metal screen needs to go (it looks a bit ratty already) and the facade cleaned up with a new marquee.

It would take a restoration for the front facade, it's not in great shape and has several layers of paint over it, so $$$. The original 1919 auditorium was torn down & rebuilt around 2009-2010'ish, so there's not much left here.

Wow, you really know you're not on Broadway when you're standing in front of this dump. It must stand as the perfect example of how Toronto really goes the extra mile when it tries to fail at something. Mirvish ought to know better--unless he wants this place to go out of business--in which case, well played, sir.

Last edited:
Wow, you really know you're not on Broadway when you're standing in front of this dump. It must stand as the perfect example of how Toronto really goes the extra mile when it tries to fail at something. Mirvish ought to know better--unless he wants this place to go out of business--in which case, well played, sir.
Shows sell tickets, theatre fronts not so much. This is Mirvish's "Off-Mirvish" theatre for edgier shows: columns, friezes, pediments are unnecessary to fill the seats.

If that were true, why would any theatre or cinema put any effort into decor, all the pre-show activities, have arcades, bars or restaurants, give VIP seating options, etc. They are selling an experience. Everything wrapped around the show itself contributes to the overall event of going out. The front facade may be minor, but it's still part of the package, so I don't think edginess is an excuse for cheaping out like that.

It's minor to the experience but not minor to restore. It's not cheapening just because the owner did something economical over what Livent would do before going bankrupt.

Back