Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
From Toronto's Planning Apps. page

OPA / Rezoning 11 248053 WET 03 OZ Ward 03
- Etob. York Jul 28, 2011 --- --- --- Waltho, Derek
416-394-8206
Proposal for Zoning By-law Amendment to permit construction of three-24 storey apartment buildings with total of 1,120 condominium units.

Link to site via Google (n/w corner of East Mall & Rathburn)

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=600 th...w.&biw=1600&bih=797&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Currently features a Shopper's Drug Mart and some other retail (can't tell from Sat. view) and a fair sized bit of surface parking.

I can't say its where I would prioritize new density......pretty poor transit out there, I think.

There are bus routes that criscross that intersection and a highway on the other side of the property - I think accessability is fine.

This is exactly the kind of redevelopment that makes sense, and if they plan it properly - not that developers usualy do - most of the retail and/or services located in the current plaza can be part of the new development. Shoppers is an easy one, as well as other ground level retail - but maybe maintain the entire 2nd floor (podium style) for offices, medical, etc... and keep the top parking level available for patrons of the business and services.

Isn't this the Lanterra site?

Wow, didn't see this one coming, but that plaza absolutely sucks so I'd be thrilled to see it replaced. The towers better meet the street, especially the corner of the intersection...

Interesting... I believe that Shoppers is quite new there -- was a No Frills up untill recent...

Im not to fond of that area. The activities and demographics of the buildings on the south side of Rathburn (on Eastmall), are not the greatest.

From Urbanation's Twitter feed:

http://twitter.com/#!/urbanation

eazmall.jpg

So Shoppers is staying as they are and a new pad site - probably a Tims or some equivalent - is going in at the corner closest to Rathburn and East Mall. Not a fan f that part of the plan.

The building itself seems OK. Podium is a little tall and 40,000 sq' of retail being added, but the services in the medical building seem like they're going to be lost. It would be nice if the 2nd floor was retained as service space to accommodate these professionals who no doubt serve a local community right now.

Wow, this is surprisingly sophisticated for this wasteland of suburbia. The sooner it's built, the better.

If what I saw is correct from the 427, it appears they have begun demolishing the 4 storey medical centre structure (sorry no pictures).

There is no longer any Toronto Builds signage on-site, nor any information on the City's Development Application site. I assume from this that this project is currently a no-go? The thing is, the buildings are in a state of partial demolition. I wonder how long it will remain this way?

Site Plan Approval filed for:

1651304744670.png

We'd all forgotten about this one...........!

I went digging..............

It wandered off to the OMB, where upon there was an agreed settlement:

Following extensive consultations and re-submissions, the City and Applicant/Appellant advise that they have entered into Minutes of Settlement to resolve their differences. The mixed-use proposal has now been amended to provide for two 24-storey towers and one 11 storey tower interconnected by a series of podiums of various heights. The initial floor space index (“FSI”) proposed was at 3.65, it is now 3.00 with a non-residential GFA of 6800 square metres (“sq. m”) instead of the initial proposed 2,610 sq. m. The proposal incorporates at-grade retail space and second storey office space. A total Gross Floor Area (“GFA”) of 68,000 sq. m and 902 residential units are proposed.

Taken from:

ISSUE DATE:July 28, 2014
CASE NO(S).:
PL131305​

@interchange42 this one needs a pin on the map!

I'm surprised Stephen Holyday isnt advocating for another badly placed townhouse development for a site that's a prime high-rise site.

Back