Toronto 550 Wellington West and 1 Hotel | ?m | 15s | Freed | a—A

I think this is the most ambitious Freed project so far.

Maybe he can buy the Travelodge and complete Stewart Street (and help King).

The redevelopment of Travelodge would also be an opportunity for a mid-block pedestrian connection between King and Stewart streets, perhaps lined with retail or restaurants. Ah, to dream.

Just a rumour at this point - but apparently the Travelodge has very recently been purchased for development....

Hopefully given the location, but I'm sure Sorbara Group could do a decent job too based on how well 60 Bathurst turned out (imo). No matter who bought the property (if in fact that's true) I do not doubt that Adam Vaughan, City Planning and the various neighbourhood groups, such as Wellington Place, will make sure that whatever is proposed fits into the area and is of a quality design.

I'm pretty sure I saw stacks of glass on the 2nd floor on the bathurst/stewart corner. Pretty exciting if thats the case. It looked extra blueish and frosty, but its tough to say because I was blinded by the ex-daylight savings 3:30pm sunset.

I'm pretty sure I saw stacks of glass on the 2nd floor on the bathurst/stewart corner. Pretty exciting if thats the case. It looked extra blueish and frosty, but its tough to say because I was blinded by the ex-daylight savings 3:30pm sunset.

You're right, they are starting this week. I have been following up the camera that they have in www.550wellington.com and it seems like they are spending around one week and a half for each floor so probably by mid-January they will reach the top floor.

They work right into darkness now - even with the crane. You don't see this happening at 75 Portland. I wonder if it relates to a specific opening time for the hotel?

Anyone have an idea of what this is about?

IMG00009-20081113-2328.jpg

So there goes the public aspect of the square, walkway and skating rink maybe? Hope I'm wrong, but why else would they have to change the zoning?

If it was simply interior amenities, I don't think they'd have to hold a public meeting about it.

This will not affect the square. The zoning by-law requires a certain amount of interior and exterior amenity space, therefore any deficiency or combining the residential and hotel amenity spaces would requirea a variance, even if it is for the interior. The application will be held before the Committee on Dec. 3 where the Committee will make a decision to approve the variances or not.

If it was simply interior amenities, I don't think they'd have to hold a public meeting about it.

"to increase the permitted heights" needs a variance

Glass

Glass has been installed along the west facade, on the second floor behind the Crangles structure. I'll post a photo in the next few days.

Back