Toronto 537 Broadview | 13.13m | 4s | Kanitz Properties | ERA Architects

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Additional density being proposed to an existing building at the SE corner of Broadview & Sparkhall. Right across the street from Riverdale Park, and some of the best skyline views in the city.

A bit of usable space available, especially at the rear of the property. Just hope the 4th storey addition being put on top doesn't end up being too Frankenstein-ish.

537 BROADVIEW AVE
Ward 14: Toronto-Danforth

Proposal for a rear and side three-storey addition and 4th storey addition to the existing residential building. The proposed development will result in a total of 15 dwelling units, inclusive of 4 rental replacement units. The proposed total residential gross floor area is 914.58 square metres.

broadview.JPG
broadview2.JPG

Additional density being proposed to an existing building at the SE corner of Broadview & Sparkhall. Right across the street from Riverdale Park, and some of the best skyline views in the city.

A bit of usable space available, especially at the rear of the property. Just hope the 4th storey addition being put on top doesn't end up being too Frankenstein-ish.

537 BROADVIEW AVE
Ward 14: Toronto-Danforth

Proposal for a rear and side three-storey addition and 4th storey addition to the existing residential building. The proposed development will result in a total of 15 dwelling units, inclusive of 4 rental replacement units. The proposed total residential gross floor area is 914.58 square metres.

View attachment 280207View attachment 280208

Have to wait for the plans........but

I think at the rear an addition would be welcome; though preserve the side/front entirely with those 3 nice-sized trees!

3 floors would be one over the existing neighbour and in line /roof height on the Broadview frontage.

I'm dubious, though open-minded on a 4th floor here.

I take it the white clapboard addition would come off this heritage beauty adding some square footage there was well.

Apologies to the church-going folk, but what catches my attention here is the 1-storey church site just to the south of this property.

It's large.! (over an acre)

Some real potential there.

Think of a luxury mid-rise w/that view of the skyline, and the rare case, with the park across the street that no one is likely to obstruct that view in the future.

1604244362525.png

I love that this is adding rental, and it's not just some rich bozo wanting to build a mansion with protected views. It's a great spot for some added density. That said:

Apologies to the church-going folk, but what catches my attention here is the 1-storey church site just to the south of this property.

I'm not even remotely religious, but I'd hate to see this building go; it's architecturally very interesting!

I love that this is adding rental, and it's not just some rich bozo wanting to build a mansion with protected views. It's a great spot for some added density. That said:

I'm not even remotely religious, but I'd hate to see this building go; it's architecturally very interesting!

The roof treatment is interesting; but it's sitting on a rather bland one-storey box.

Certainly there's far worse in this town, and lots of it.

But I don't know if I would lament its loss (well, depends on what you replaced it with, now doesn't it?)

The roof treatment is interesting; but it's sitting on a rather bland one-storey box.

Certainly there's far worse in this town, and lots of it.

But I don't know if I would lament its loss (well, depends on what you replaced it with, now doesn't it?)
I'm surprised to hear you think this because in my opinion it's a mid-century masterpiece, easily one of the best and most significant example of its style in Toronto. It's also highly visible from Riverdale Park and I'd even call it an east end landmark. Don't make me lie down in front of a bulldozer to save it!

I'm surprised to hear you think this because in my opinion it's a mid-century masterpiece, easily one of the best and most significant example of its style in Toronto. It's also highly visible from Riverdale Park and I'd even call it an east end landmark. Don't make me lie down in front of a bulldozer to save it!

LOL, I can't afford the purchase price; and if I could, I would buy something else!

That said, perhaps it's my natural bias against religious institutions writ large...........or perhaps my aversion to window-less boxes.

But I can't say I would lift a finger to protect it; even if I would hardly prioritize its removal.

Last edited:
Good to see this is a listed heritage building, so hopefully the City will be assessing how the proposal impacts the heritage aspects.

StatusListed
Address537 BROADVIEW AVE
ByLaw
DetailsJohn McPherson Scott House, 1913. Adopted by City Council on Oct. 1, 2009.

Good to see this is a listed heritage building, so hopefully the City will be assessing how the proposal impacts the heritage aspects.

StatusListed
Address537 BROADVIEW AVE
ByLaw
DetailsJohn McPherson Scott House, 1913. Adopted by City Council on Oct. 1, 2009.

Listed, however, is not designated.

It's more of a 'we are aware it has value' vs a prescriptive type of protection.

Broadview to me has always felt like a street that could do with some more (gentle) density, given the existing streetcars and the eventual streetcar down to East Harbour, so hopefully this turns out nicely.

It's unfortunate that there wasn't more of a missing middle built form that developed historically along the east side of Broadview facing Riverdale Park. Like something akin to the western Parkdale sections of King and Queen Street around where it meets Roncy.

Apart from the two towers closer to the Danforth, the Woodgreen Community Centre, and the one notable set of walk-up apartments towards the north tip across the park, majority of Broadview dilutes into primarily yellowbelt housing. There's better potential starting at Gerrard since there's more of a mixed-use complexion in the area, but so far most of the action is anticipated for Broadview around Queen East.

Back