Toronto John Innes Recreation Centre & Moss Park Arena Revitalization | 21.35m | 4s | City of Toronto | MJMA

Be interesting to see the plans for this. Surely they aren't building over all the green space in the park?

QxR3KwZ.jpg

Last edited:
I doubt it - sounds like (no confirmation) that they'd be using the community centre/rink site. That said the park looks like it can use a redo.

AoD

UT HQs are just to the southeast of this and I've crossed that field a few times, and that aerial view does not lie, it could really use a redo. It drains poorly and easily gets wrecked after a rain.

I wonder if the money for this came from the estate of the late James Stewart who had Integral House built. Today's Globe Real Estate section mentions the house is coming to market (28 million!) and that money from his estate is going to various LGBT causes.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean. It looks like it's larger since the late 40s than it was for the 60 years preceding the urban renewal projects down there.

Sorry to have missed the meeting tonight. Did anyone get to it?

Not sure what you mean. It looks like it's larger since the late 40s than it was for the 60 years preceding the urban renewal projects down there.

I meant that I was a little surprised to see that the park as it was back didn't have much by the way of street frontage:

upload_2016-6-7_9-11-21.png

upload_2016-6-7_9-11-32.png

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-7_9-11-21.png
    upload_2016-6-7_9-11-21.png
    783.5 KB · Views: 2,022
  • upload_2016-6-7_9-11-32.png
    upload_2016-6-7_9-11-32.png
    992.1 KB · Views: 2,023
I hope they can fixed the tennis courts. The one on the west is in terrible shape. I don't mind having a couple more considering how crowded it gets in the summer and there doesn't to be any public courts nearby.

That's why there are no older buildings facing Shuter east of Sherbourne, west of Ontario (east of Ontario Street, Shuter Street consists of what used to be called Sydenham Street until one hits River Street). It's also why there is this odd triangular lot at the NE corner of Seaton and Shuter with the pie slice-shaped house:

Shuter.jpg

(ETA: Actually, checking out an old fire insurance map on the Toronto Archives site, Sydenham only went as far east as Sumach - they needed to bulldoze it through to River St., presumably as part of the Shuter Street extension project.)

Attachments

• Shuter.jpg
    Shuter.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 1,871

Back