500 Sherbourne Condos (Times Group Corporation) - Real Estate -

The current property management team's job of educating and preparing owners (many first-time condo owners) for this election can be reduced to a single "infosheet" that was hanging in the elevators for a few weeks. Dismal.

If I were a consipracy theorist, I might suggest that it is in property management's best interests to keep the condo population apathetic towards this election. The less owners who vote, the more the builder's votes (their boss) count. The ones who vote will split among the preferred candidates, leaving the owner to spread his votes among his representatives....

Would it be kosher to slip some ads under people's doors, asking for their proxy?

Last edited:
It's perfectly fine to ask for people's proxy. I can print up letters and provide envelopes as required. We do have a danger that there will not be quorum for the initial meeting if not enough owners and proxies are available.

If there is no quorum then it may actually be in our interest because as more units are sold the builder will have less proxies, however this builder seems very intent upon controlling the Board through the first year at least and I suspect that he will succeed. In the first year the building would normally have an engineer's inspection by an engineering company representing the owners and this engineering report normally forms the basis for the Tarion warranty claims. If the initial engineering report does not state building deficiencies such as improperly installed roofing system (as an example) then it will be very hard, if not impossible, to get warranty compensation from Tarion in the future years of the warranty, thereby the builder will have to pay less on warranty claims. And in our case a Board controlled by the builder will hire their choice of engineering company, decide on what warranty claims to make, etc..
I was considering running for the Board (I was on the Board for some years at my previous home) but I have decided not to run in case I split the vote and we get nobody onto the Board.

I think it will be very kosher to ask for proxies, but would we not want to collect them too so that we can deliver them to the takeover meeting?

I have to say that from what I have seen Roseanne can get very emotional very quickly, but I think that she is trying very hard to do a good job and I don't think she is totally owned by the builder. I think that it would be a good idea to keep Roseanne until we know more about her loyalties.

Yeah, democracy can be such a farce some times.

Is it possible to call an immediate re-election on the grounds that management failed to inform all owners of the nomination process? It was impossible for Karen Lang to win as proxy votes were already cast before her nomination. And proxy votes outnumbered those at the meeting by at least 2 to 1.

This is normal, folks. Proxies carry the election. It's a question of how those proxies were directed to be used.

I think John and Manfred will do an excellent job for us. I have a feeling that they will both be very approachable and ready to listen to our concerns. To his credit, Hessam did indicate he understands conflict of interest and will abstain where required.

Good to meet some of you.

Guys,
overall I am happy with the outcome of the elections. I am especially glad that only owners who actually live in the building got elected and not some investors whose interest is profit only and who wouldn't care too much about the upkeep of the building.
Thank you all for your support. I will do my best to represent all of you and to keep our building in great shape.
And of course, I am always approachable! I will use this board to keep you informed about any new development regarding 500 Sherbourne.

Guys,
overall I am happy with the outcome of the elections. I am especially glad that only owners who actually live in the building got elected and not some investors whose interest is profit only and who wouldn't care too much about the upkeep of the building.
Thank you all for your support. I will do my best to represent all of you and to keep our building in great shape.
And of course, I am always approachable! I will use this board to keep you informed about any new development regarding 500 Sherbourne.

Congratulations! It's going to be a very interesting time ahead.. but it's well worth it. :)

Has anybody received any further demands for payment for the window coverings?

I feel like the situation is still in limbo, as I have not received an additional demand, and I have not received notice that they are stopping their ridiculous, unethical and dubiously legal pursuit of money for the window coverings.

Has anybody received any further demands for payment for the window coverings?

I feel like the situation is still in limbo, as I have not received an additional demand, and I have not received notice that they are stopping their ridiculous, unethical and dubiously legal pursuit of money for the window coverings.

I haven't heard a peep since they said they would remove the windowcoverings if we didn't want to pay for them. I too feel like this whole situation is in limbo too.

It's been suspiciously quiet after they created that National Post article in which he stated that everyone got free blinds.

Everybody,
We will have our first board meeting this coming Monday, April 18. Are there any specific issues you want me to raise? I welcome any input from you guys!
Manfred

Back