News   Apr 23, 2024
 174     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 912     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 294     0 

49 Queen St S, Streetsville (New retail/offices, ?, 2s, Rally Architects) COMPLETE

Jasonzed

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is a few blocks north of the Village Square. This is good in that it will extend the pedestrian traffic to this part of the village.
DSC05285_zpswyfzlffl.jpg

DSC05286_zpsptu1zqtc.jpg

These guys should be looking to Sierra's 68 Main Street complex in Markham on how to do instant-old right. What I see above shows some very inelegantly lumpy new construction beside the gorgeously detailed Orange Hall. That's an 1855-built Classical Revival Victorian with generous glazing that's not being matched at all in the new build. Someone may think they're creating something sensitive here, but the renderings suggest D-Grade Olde Timey Amusement Park. Yuck. What an insult to a particularly gorgeous Ontario Heritage Act-designated gem.

Addendum: Meanwhile, this document shows that the experts on Mississauga Council consider this to be a nice complement to the Orange Hall.

Last edited:
These guys should be looking to Sierra's 68 Main Street complex in Markham on how to do instant-old right. What I see above shows some very inelegantly lumpy new construction beside the gorgeously detailed Orange Hall. That's an 1855-built Classical Revival Victorian with generous glazing that's not being matched at all in the new build. Someone may think they're creating something sensitive here, but the renderings suggest D-Grade Olde Timey Amusement Park. Yuck. What an insult to a particularly gorgeous Ontario Heritage Act-designated gem.

Addendum: Meanwhile, this document shows that the experts on Mississauga Council consider this to be a nice complement to the Orange Hall.
I felt the same way when I first saw the rendering. I feel that, at times, they should build something a bit more modern as a juxtaposition to the heritage building instead of trying recreate/mimic a style.
I don't put too much credence into the views of some of the councilors, they just don't know any better.

Back