News   Mar 28, 2024
 329     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 345     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 700     0 

459 Eastern Av (All Canadian Self Storage, 5s, Rust/Teeple)

Brick would look better, or even dare I say, precast brick panels?
Hope those punched openings are translucent glass instead of fake windows/spandrel -- I have to admit the new design is a little more palatable than the original design (disregarding materials) as it doesn't look so forbidding and bunker-like which must resort to some façade graphics to make it mildly interesting and less monsterous but with little success.

Brick would look better, or even dare I say, precast brick panels?
Hope those punched openings are translucent glass instead of fake windows/spandrel -- I have to admit the new design is a little more palatable than the original design (disregarding materials) as it doesn't look so forbidding and bunker-like which must resort to some façade graphics to make it mildly interesting and less monsterous but with little success.

No precast brick panels please - this is a utilitarian building, they should let the materials reflect that?

Give me some cor-ten!

Painted steel siding?

AoD

I really don't know why people are being so critical. It's a storage depot... what are we expecting, a Frank Lloyd Wright? It's an unfortunate use of land, but as far as storage depots go, it's quality product.

I really don't know why people are being so critical. It's a storage depot... what are we expecting, a Frank Lloyd Wright? It's an unfortunate use of land, but as far as storage depots go, it's quality product.

I get what you're saying. But there is a lot of space between crap and Frank Lloyd Wright. This isn't an industrial park in the middle of nowhere. This is a prominent site in a mixed-use community, and there should be objectively quality architecture, not just a standard of quality measured against other storage depots. We need to do better. It need not win awards, it need not be costly, but there is such opportunity for some creativity here.

I get what you're saying. But there is a lot of space between crap and Frank Lloyd Wright. This isn't an industrial park in the middle of nowhere. This is a prominent site in a mixed-use community, and there should be objectively quality architecture, not just a standard of quality measured against other storage depots. We need to do better. It need not win awards, it need not be costly, but there is such opportunity for some creativity here.

Case in point:

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 6.52.28 PM.png

photo by Marcanadian

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 6.52.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 6.52.28 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 940

Attachments

• 3_AMF_Image_by_BIG.jpg
    3_AMF_Image_by_BIG.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 684
  • 4_AMF_Image_by_BIG.jpg
    4_AMF_Image_by_BIG.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 634
  • 1_AMF_Image_by_BIG___MIR.jpg
    1_AMF_Image_by_BIG___MIR.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 611
The customer $/sq ft in the Parliament Data Center is probably a bit higher than that in a self storage facility, no?

Back