News   Jun 14, 2019
 682     0 
News   Jun 14, 2019
 801     0 
News   Jun 14, 2019
 661     0 

459 Eastern Av (All Canadian Self Storage, 5s, Rust/Teeple)

neuhaus

Member Bio
Reaction score
Brick would look better, or even dare I say, precast brick panels?
Hope those punched openings are translucent glass instead of fake windows/spandrel -- I have to admit the new design is a little more palatable than the original design (disregarding materials) as it doesn't look so forbidding and bunker-like which must resort to some façade graphics to make it mildly interesting and less monsterous but with little success.

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Brick would look better, or even dare I say, precast brick panels?
Hope those punched openings are translucent glass instead of fake windows/spandrel -- I have to admit the new design is a little more palatable than the original design (disregarding materials) as it doesn't look so forbidding and bunker-like which must resort to some façade graphics to make it mildly interesting and less monsterous but with little success.
No precast brick panels please - this is a utilitarian building, they should let the materials reflect that?

Give me some cor-ten!
Painted steel siding?

AoD

mjl08

Member Bio
Reaction score
I really don't know why people are being so critical. It's a storage depot... what are we expecting, a Frank Lloyd Wright? It's an unfortunate use of land, but as far as storage depots go, it's quality product.

Skeezix

Member Bio
Reaction score
I really don't know why people are being so critical. It's a storage depot... what are we expecting, a Frank Lloyd Wright? It's an unfortunate use of land, but as far as storage depots go, it's quality product.
I get what you're saying. But there is a lot of space between crap and Frank Lloyd Wright. This isn't an industrial park in the middle of nowhere. This is a prominent site in a mixed-use community, and there should be objectively quality architecture, not just a standard of quality measured against other storage depots. We need to do better. It need not win awards, it need not be costly, but there is such opportunity for some creativity here.

salsa

Member Bio
Reaction score
I get what you're saying. But there is a lot of space between crap and Frank Lloyd Wright. This isn't an industrial park in the middle of nowhere. This is a prominent site in a mixed-use community, and there should be objectively quality architecture, not just a standard of quality measured against other storage depots. We need to do better. It need not win awards, it need not be costly, but there is such opportunity for some creativity here.
Case in point:

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 6.52.28 PM.png

photo by Marcanadian

Attachments

ADRM

Member Bio
Reaction score

Attachments

dowlingm

Member Bio
Reaction score
The customer $/sq ft in the Parliament Data Center is probably a bit higher than that in a self storage facility, no?