News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 839     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

44th Canadian Federal Election

I wonder if the O'toole camp will approach Doug Fords office to tell him to STFU and cool it with his policies, rhetoric, etc for the next bit. If numbers go up and Ford starts locking things down again (especially in Toronto) it will kill the conservatives chances in Ontario.

No doubt, there will be close contact between Doug Fords office and the Conservative campaign to avoid any issues electorally speaking.
Again.
And the Conservatives want a . . . ?

One of the kids in short pants might have made that themselves. It is not very professionally done. Seems like a play for some 'earned media'.

They are talking about and saying they wouldn’t vote PC. Not all publicity is good publicity. The only party this benefits is the Liberals.

I know I'll get flack for this but I agree with the cons on this one. Everyone absolutely should get vaccinated, I especially believe this because I have health reasons that prevent me from being able to, so the more people get vaccinated the safer it is for me.

However the idea of restricting peoples movement based on vaccine status definitely makes me nervous and I'm not a big fan of it. I do understand the argument of personal liberty versus public responsibility but having grown up in an authoritarian country it definitely puts me on edge. I've seen so many things mandated under the guise of public safety that clearly are just moves to gain more power and control.

By no means am I saying that'll happen here or that's what this is about but the precedent it sets definitely leaves me uneasy.

Edit: to add, if there's some guarantee that these measures are finite (much like lockdowns) that would definitely ease a lot of my concerns. I was for lockdowns all the way through (and thought that we didn't lock down hard enough) but that as never a permanent solution and if vaccine mandates are here for good, that kind of decision and policy making is what concerns me.

I know I'll get flack for this but I agree with the cons on this one. Everyone absolutely should get vaccinated, I especially believe this because I have health reasons that prevent me from being able to, so the more people get vaccinated the safer it is for me.

However the idea of restricting peoples movement based on vaccine status definitely makes me nervous and I'm not a big fan of it. I do understand the argument of personal liberty versus public responsibility but having grown up in an authoritarian country it definitely puts me on edge. I've seen so many things mandated under the guise of public safety that clearly are just moves to gain more power and control.

By no means am I saying that'll happen here or that's what this is about but the precedent it sets definitely leaves me uneasy.

Edit: to add, if there's some guarantee that these measures are finite (much like lockdowns) that would definitely ease a lot of my concerns. I was for lockdowns all the way through (and thought that we didn't lock down hard enough) but that as never a permanent solution and if vaccine mandates are here for good, that kind of decision and policy making is what concerns me.

Think of it as a war (and just compare the numbers of Canadian deaths in WWII to COVID, it's on the same order of magnitude) - sometimes sacrifices in personal liberties are needed; and frankly the sacrifices asked of us pales in comparison to what was asked of citizens in the Second World War.

AoD

Back