Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
4121 KINGSTON RD
OPA / Rezoning 12 146422 ESC 43 OZ Ward 43
- Scarborough Mar 30, 2012 --- --- --- Darling, Katrien
(416) 396-7721

A zoning by-law amendment application to permit a total of 640 residential units in two (2), 8-storey mid-rise resdential buidings (total 160 units) and a 25 and 35 storey residential building (total 480 units). Retail uses and live/work uses are proposed at grade in the mid-rise buildings.

I think this may be the old car dealership site, adjacent to Guildwood GO Stn.

Nope. 4121 Kingston is not the address of Spice Condos.

This site is Goldmanco, Spice Condos is YYZed.

So years later, just checking into this one, this never got a final report from planning, and there's no OMB entry on this one, so I take it that it was simply withdrawn.

So years later, just checking into this one, this never got a final report from planning, and there's no OMB entry on this one, so I take it that it was simply withdrawn.

Just speculation but it will likely be resurrected after the Crosstown Extension is approved and connection to GO is designed. This should give the City and OMB the teeth to accept the proposed heights.

From the Trinity Group's website:

Guildwood-GO-Station_AERIAL.jpg
Guildwood-GO-Station_RENDER-1.jpg
Guildwood-GO-Station_RENDER-2.jpg

From the Trinity Group's website:

View attachment 301501View attachment 301502View attachment 301503

That density would be most welcome for that site.

The warm colour palate too.

It's a high-level rendering, so I don't want to get hung-up on dissecting details, but the streetscape proposal adjacent to Kingston Road would not fly. (there will need to be a boulevard to buffer pedestrians from Kingston Road)

Otherwise, pretty promising.

They clearly envision some retail, including patios on the Kingston Rd frontage which would be a particularly good lift for this stretch of road.

I'm so glad to see density finally being proposed around GO stations. The rest of the surface parking should also be redeveloped.

Is it viable to remove two lanes on Kingston here? Or narrow each existing lane?

I'm so glad to see density finally being proposed around GO stations. The rest of the surface parking should also be redeveloped.

Is it viable to remove two lanes on Kingston here? Or narrow each existing lane?
No not really kingston is both still very busy and lanes have to be preserved fo the eglinston east lrt in the future

Is the Eglinton east let going to just stop on street for the go station? Wonder if it could be integrated into the plan for this land at all. Maybe running along the backside

No not really kingston is both still very busy and lanes have to be preserved fo the eglinston east lrt in the future

2 lanes are reserved to a future LRT as Khalil noted.

2 more lanes have to stay for long-term car use.

In theory, the remaining 2 lanes could be put into play at some point.

But not only does transit need to improve further to support that; but Kingston Road beyond this immediate area needs to be addressed in conjunction with any narrowing attempt.

That would mean addressing Highway 2A which is what Kingston Rd becomes a couple of km to the east of here.

It would also mean matching any lane removal pretty much back to Victoria Park in the west where Kingston Rd already has a narrower profile.

With that said, depending on the exact road segment, there is a median island whose space could also be re-allocated.

The median is ~4.5M wide but left-hand turn lanes eat into this at times.

1614144732923.png

On lane narrowing.

I measured the lane widths using google.

I averaged ~3.5M for the inner lanes; and slightly higher in the curb lane.

That does indicate some room for narrowing is available.

Its my recollection that Toronto's typical minimums are 3.0M and 3.3M in a curb lane or any lane required by a bus.

Updated project description:
The application proposes 4 mixed-use buildings ranging from 10 to 35 storeys and commercial uses at grade with residential above. The proposed development is as follows: a 10-storey and 12-storey mid-rise buildings along Kingston Road; a 25-storey and 35-storey residential towers to be located south of the site. 3,753 square metres of retail uses are proposed along Kingston Road and the access road which connects Kingston Road to the Guildwood GO station. A total of 996 residential units, with a mix of unit types (including apartments and townhouses) resulting in a residential gross floor area of 84,298 square metres. A total of 533 vehicular parking spaces are proposed. A new east-west private road and a new public road along the eastern edge of the site are proposed.

Timbertrin + IBI Group: 35 storeys (121.10 metres including MPH)

1618985412745.png

1618985424605.png

1618985435160.png

Looking at the block context/layout for the site:

1619001966514.png

I understand the typical design to keep the site separated from the adjacent low-rise area.

However........I'm looking at the closeness of the nearby High School, as well as Galloway Park and thinking there really needs to be through space, at least for pedestrians and cyclists, but probably for cars too.

I would like to see the Dunera Avenue ROW punched through; as a well as a clear connection at Apsco.

The latter appears to be conceived of; but not the former:

1619002216766.png

Heights:

1619002292767.png

Phasing:

1619002336770.png

Back