Toronto The Roxy | 153.47m | 45s | Fitzrovia | bKL Architecture

I am extremely optimistic about the Church - Jarvis corridor in the next 10-20 years. It will experience dramatically changes and improvements, become a lot vibrant than what it is now, and will prove to be one of the most a great place to live. Just the walkability alone is far better than 90% of other spots in the city.

Really? I see the potential but i think your claim is way over the top.

Although a hearing at the OMB on this one isn't scheduled until mid November, they have applied for site plan approval. They are up 2 units and have cut the retail space in half.

Proposal for site plan approval for a 32 storey academic residence with 121 residential units and 105 square metres of retail GFA, with 5 parking spaces

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...ion=init&folderRsn=3817908&isCofASearch=false

Almost whatever goes up, this whole strip is in desperate need of TLC. There's always a sense of disappointment when heading south of Carlton on Church.

Agreed. Good to see East of Younge St. getting some attention. This area...North and South is pretty run down and dirty...with pockets of greatness. Should change in the next 10 years or so.

Handsome design
The success here will depend upon just what the cladding is between the windows on the tower: I don't think we want a giant box of back-painted glass spandrel, but with the reflections indicated in the renderings, that's what I am concerned it may be. Without balconies… could this be curtain wall?

The City will still want this to be shorter, I assume.

Another wall of glass at street level, just like the development a block away. Seeing block after block of glass walls is not a pleasant thought. When I walk by these developments I don't even notice individual stores. It just looks and feels like one long bank pavilion. It's the opposite of what this city needs, more character!

Cutting the retail space in this development is also a mistake. That portion of Church Street needs heavy animation. It's a terrible street to walk as it is now.

It's student residences. I hope it sails along. It's needed. Gives back to the academic community. There are too many landlords who prey on students who don't want to take the ttc an hour or more to get to class.

these new buildings are usually insanely expensive, $1,000 a month range. Its often cheaper to just get a new 2 bedroom or 1+den condo with a roommate.

Another wall of glass at street level, just like the development a block away. Seeing block after block of glass walls is not a pleasant thought. When I walk by these developments I don't even notice individual stores. It just looks and feels like one long bank pavilion. It's the opposite of what this city needs, more character!

Cutting the retail space in this development is also a mistake. That portion of Church Street needs heavy animation. It's a terrible street to walk as it is now.

Within a short distance, there will be 4 walls of glass at street level I am afraid.
While it will be better than what is right down (which is pretty much dead between Richmond and Carlton), I also have concerns over what these buildings will actually bring to Church St besides just more residents. Although retail will be added to the condo in each project, we all know condo retail is seldom as interesting as stand-alone retail and will probably not bring much vibrancy we expect after all. I am all for densification, but I just hope Church st will not turn into another Bay St west of Yonge. It is kind of an experiment downtown Toronto is doing and it will be interesting to see how it folds out.

From a macro perspective - it's going to be fine - that stretch of Church is never that strong with retail in the first place - and anything that replaces a parking lot is going to be a net positive. The quality of the final product is on the other hand an open question - it's a student (albeit pricey) res afterall.

AoD

From a macro perspective - it's going to be fine - that stretch of Church is never that strong with retail in the first place - and anything that replaces a parking lot is going to be a net positive. The quality of the final product is on the other hand an open question - it's a student (albeit pricey) res afterall.

AoD

True but why not? Why can't we start to have more interesting retail streets downtown outside the ones we have now? Of course new condos are far better than parking lots but this stretch of Church is right next to Yonge, and directly south of the vibrant gay village (which is busy even at 10:30 pm last night by the way when I walked past it). Does it have something to do with zoning? If that's the case, it should be changed.

I just thought with so many new residents in the future, the amount of retail on Yonge or Bloor is simply not enough for the population. Where will these people go to eat, drink and hang out? I don't think some nail salon and bank branch are enough. I saw a new noodle house near where the GU restaurant is, very low profiled, that's the kind of stuff we need more on Church along this stretch. Honestly I am pretty sick of seeing the same stores on Yonge and Queen. We are a big city and it should offer more.

Back